SIG P224 & 938 super mini review

BGutzman

I got to handle both pistols at a Official Sig event today along with the Sig 716 Rifle.

The P224 felt very much like my SIG P220 Carry in a shorter grip version... The trigger was very much the first class smooth as glass signature of Sig. The gun balanced well in my hand and the shortness of the grip made it feel more stocky than it actually is.

I also liked the grips which photos dont do justice too.

The P938 and the P238 look virtually identical and to my hand felt identical other than maybe weight. was slightly more in the P938. Both felt felt just like the mini 1911's they are (really nice). Even the Sig rep had to look closely to tell the difference between the two. The trigger was very smooth if ever so slightly less refined than the 224.

I didnt get to look at them real long but it was a boon...

LockedBreech

Thanks! Do we have any indication of what the street price (non-MSRP) is going to be on the 938? I'm kinda taking a shine to the one with rosewood grips.

BGutzman

Im sorry I didnt ask for prices on anything but the 716 which was going for roughly 2000 with a list price of $2400... the 938 was mighty nice in the hand..

LockedBreech

That's alright! I appreciate the impressions. Well, Sig's website says:

P938 Blackwood - MSRP $809
P938 Extreme- MSRP $823
P938 Rosewood - MSRP $795
P938 Equinox- MSRP $823

So, extrapolating from what the trend tends to be for MSRP, maybe $650-700 retail? That's an optimistic figure, but might actually make the pistol somewhat within reach for me. Good!

Seems to be a really well thought out pistol from the videos and descriptions I've seen. Here's hoping reliability and quality control bear that out.

Technosavant

The 938 I handled does seem noticeably larger than the 238 (I have a 238, so I'm familiar with it). Not a ton, but the grip is larger (front to back), the barrel is slightly longer, and the gun itself is a bit wider.

I don't know that it's bigger enough to compromise pocket carry as guns like the P290 and Nano seem to be (possible to carry in a pocket, but it's going to be bulging like nobody's business), but to a P238 owner the P938 is identifiable as larger.

Not that I would turn one down, mind you. :D

LockedBreech

I'm looking at the 938 as a 4'o'clock IWB carry gun that can double as a pocket gun in a pinch, since I've got the LCP for true pocket carry

It's competing with Glocks model 26 and 27, Walther's PPS, Springfield's XDS, Ruger's LC9, and Smith's M&P Shield.

I don't get new guns very frequently, so I have to beat the decision to death while I save pennies. :)