Sig P220 Survey

Sig P220, SAO or standard (double/single action)

• SAO

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Double/Single

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

riggins_83

I think I'll break down and buy a Sig P220 soon. I've not decided between the standard 220 or a SAO.

This won't be a gun I carry on duty (security guard), just a fun gun to have around.

johnbt

I haven't tried a standard Sig SAO, but I like SAO guns quite a bit. I bought an X-5 Tac last year and it's SAO, but the trigger is 4.5# and close to perfect. It might be perfect and I'm just looking for one flaw to show up. Fine gun.

John

Uncle Malice

To be honest, I have not tried the SAO P220, so I am biased. But I also am not a big fan of SAO, ala 1911. I just prefer DA/SA... call me crazy.

I have a P220 Elite Stainless that is DA/SA with the SIG SRT Trigger. I highly recommend the SRT kit. It makes the trigger so great.

The SRT comes standard on the Elite models but you can upgrade any of them with it. I believe the kit is about $100 from Sig... or you can pay them something like $80 or whatever to install it... it's not difficult though.

Good luck, cheers!

25535_383779637532_554172532_4779415_5581141_n.jpg

DBAR

I think everyone knows how I feel about the P220 SAO. It's the most comfortable .45 acp handgun that I own. If fact, it's my favorite handgun. If you like SAO handguns, then you won't go wrong with the P220 SAO. If you like DA/SA, then get the P220. I've got a Kimber 1911 that is more accurate than my P220 SAO, but I can shoot the P220 SAO better. If that makes any sense? I can shoot 4 magazines, 8 rounds each, rapid fire with the P220 SAO, and still keep a Softball size group at 25 feet. What more would I need?

DBAR

christcorp

This won't be a gun I carry on duty (security guard), just a fun gun to have around.

You choose one of the greatest guns of all time; one of the most reliable, dependable, and accurate guns in the world; and the gun that has been carried by more military and police around the world than you can count; and you DON'T WANT to use it for duty, but as a FUN GUN!!!!!. That's like buying an F-250 pickup truck, but you only want to use it for "Cruising". But whatever. But FWIW, the P220 is considered by a very large percentage of people in the gun world, as one of the BEST weapons of all time. Those who don't vote for it, usually do so because they are in the "You have to have 15+ rounds or it sucks" crowd; or they're in the cool-aid drinking glock crowd. One thing's for sure, if you get a P220 and start shooting it, you WILL start carrying it. You'll find a way to use it. It's that good.

Last edited:

DBAR

He's right. I take my P220 SAO with me everywhere I go. I hasn't spent one single night in the safe. It's concealable, just not the easiest to coneal.

DBAR

PeterGunn

I would strongly encourage you look for a P220 that says... MADE IN GERMANY or MADE IN WEST GERMANY.

It is no secret that the German made Sigs were manufactured with what seems to be a higher quality.

DBAR

Either way, you'll have a good gun. It's true that the older guns where made with some better quality materials, and better quality control, but the American made Sigs are fine handguns. I've got an American made Sig on order, and I'm fine with it.

DBAR

riggins_83

I ended up going with the 220 SAO. The trigger just feels right... single action on the double/single pistol is different.

Uncle Malice

Total bummer dude. I hate waiting to get my gun.

I've had my P229 Stainless Elite paid off since new years and I'm still waiting! I hear the factory has a ton of work.

Bongo Boy

Either way I think is fine. Mine is the DA/SA SRT and after spending some time with the trigger (about 12 hours total I'd guess) I have a very smooth DA and a sweet SA. In the IDPA matches at which I shoot it, I've never even slightly noticed a heavier DA...it's not an issue.

Here's my Elite Stainless:

P220Glamour2.jpg

I removed the tac rail, trigger guard hooky thing and about 0.18" off the end of the whale tail. All the photos of these mods in progress are on SigForum, somewhere back around Mar, Apr May of last year.

The trigger on this one is also odd. I first replaced the stock 'long' trigger with the Sig factory short trigger, then modified that until it had to go in the trashcan. Then I got out the long trigger, ground the excess baggage off the back and straightened it out (torch) the requenched it. Now the effect is a medium reach but a lower one--finger is lower on the trigger giving a better feel for me. Overtravel stop is made from that epoxy steel stuff :) and the Plan of Action is to send it to Grayguns for a final bead blast and Melonite all around. A black P220 Elite Stainless with no tac rail or trigger guard silliness--my dream is realized.

You won't be disappointed, but I'll say it was a long slow ramp up in terms of love for the gun. Mine came with what I thought was just an awful trigger, and until I got that worked out I wasn't fully satisfied. You can really shoot these things into a small group, and put a P226 9mm recoil spring in them and shoot powder puff handloads and they're simply a gut-bustin' blast.

Last edited:

DBAR

i prefer double/single. if you want a SAO buy a 1911.

Buy both if you want, but if you've never shot or owned both, then you can't make that statement. I own both, and have shot plenty. The P220 SAO is fine, and so is the P220 DA/SA. A P220 SAO isn't close to a fine 1911, they aren't that closely related.

Here's something to hold you over....

P220SAO2.jpg

DBAR

riggins_83

i prefer double/single. if you want a SAO buy a 1911.

Other than being a single stack single action with a full length guide rod, the P220 SAO is a different animal.

I'm not buying a P220 SAO as a 1911 substitute, buying it because I want a super reliable 45ACP single action that's not a 1911.. I have enough of those.

TriumphGuy

Have you thought about the DAK trigger? My Pop has a 229 with it and I swear it's the nicest shooting auto I've ever handled. The first day we took it to the range we were shooting empty shotgun shells out of the target because hitting the bull was too easy.

Onward Allusion

I'm probably going to get flak for this, but the latest generation P220 is overrated, and yes - I have shot it and it was accurate. I mean it's a nice pistol but for $700 to $800 online and $900 & above in stores, there are as good if not better and less expensive options out there - and - no, I'm not going to start a this -vs- that debate. Just my .02

Last edited: