Sig P220 - questions about frame rail wear

Micropterus

Friggin' internet. Nothing generates irrational concern like the internet. Nevertheless, I have some concerns about the durability of of my P220's frame and rails.

From the reasearch I've done, I've come away with the impression that Sig alloy frame rails wear out rather quickly. Whether that's the case or not, I don't know.

I just purchased a Sig P220R Carry. It's my first Sig. I haven't even fired it yet. Even so, I've already stripped it, cleaned it and applied a liberal amount of Shooter's Choice grease to the rails (like I do all my semi autos).

A lot of you here have a lot more experience with Sigs in general, and the P220 in particular. Can you tell me a bit about this subject? Your thoughts on the matter would be most appreciated.

ATW525

Keep them properly lubed and don't lose any sleep over it. You likely won't ever shoot enough to wear them out as long you keep your gun properly maintained.

Rinspeed

I'm not picking on you but I always have to laugh a bit at people who are concerned about wearing out a quality pistol. I've been into Sigs for over fifteen years and I'm quite sure I've never heard of Sig Sauer not replacing, for free, a frame or slide that had broke. Say they didn't take care of their customers, if you have $8000-10,000 to spend on ammo to wear out a pistol you probably can afford to replace it. Not only that you most likely got your monies worth out of it.

N.H. Yankee

I am quite sure Sig did some mod's a few years back to their P220 line and perhaps other models to beef-up the frame, they also did other minor mods.

A Sig rep once told me that the frames are spec'ed for at least 25,000 rounds. I have two Sigs with more than twice that many through them, and they're still fine.

I wouldn't worry.

FALshootist

SIG had some early 220s that cracked their frames. But unlike with Beretta slides, SIG hadn't replaced the Colt 45 in the military and thereby subjecting it to immediate hatered.

There were probably more SIGs with cracked frames than Berettas with cracked slides. Early 226s did this also, I knew somone that had one.

That said my 1993 west german 220 with the old style spur hammer is just fine.

Keep this one piece of advice in mind when ever you turn on your commputer. There is no product made that the internet cannot make you lose confidence in, regardless of your own experience, if you read about it enough.

fyimo

The key to wear on a Sig is proper lubrication and the top guys recommend Slide-Glide grease on the slide rails and slide as tests have proven it to minimize wear. Like others have said you will be broke buying ammo if you try to shoot enough to wear out a Sig.

Micropterus

Thanks for the replies. I've owned a couple of Beretta 92FSs and Beretta Cheetahs and never noticed any siginficant frame rail wear. I can't imagine my Sig would be any more prone to it than those other pistols would be.

wnycollector

I have a 1989 west german P220. I have put thousands of rounds through my pistol and I'm not the original owner! My rails look fine. Just make sure they have a nice coating of grease and go out and shoot your SIG!

pogo2

Solution...

I don't believe the aluminum P220 frames will wear very rapidly - but the answer to the problem if you think so is the P220ST model, which has a steel frame.

SigP220ST30.jpg

r.w. schrack

Keep the rails greased and other parts oiled and you Sig will be fine. I use TLW25 the white grease and good old pro lube for oiled parts.

DBAR

I'm not picking on you but I always have to laugh a bit at people who are concerned about wearing out a quality pistol.

Here's the problem. If you search the internet enough, you'll find that there are a lot of people that think that the new Sigs are junk compared to the German made Sigs. If you go to sigforum.com you'll find quite of few people that like to put down the new Sigs.

I look at it this way. The German made Sigs are "Crafted", while the newer American made Sigs are "produced". The only difference being that there is more attention to detail in the German made Sigs. The American made Sigs work just fine, they may have some mim, and plastice parts, but they still work.

You should always inspect your guns before you shoot them. Take a good look for any burs in the slides. Make sure they are smooth. Lube, and shoot.

DBAR

Last edited:

chris in va

Can't tell you how many rounds have been through my 1995 220 but there's not much to report on wear with it. Not one single jam with this gun. It is the older 'folded slide' model if it makes any difference.

bamaranger

I have never seen a cracked slide on a P220 of any vintage. I have seen P220
W. German made, w/ a cracked locking insert, which was fixed by replacing same. The pistol was alleged to have a high number of +P rds through it.