SIG P220 Platinum Elite

kylen

Okay so I have narrowed it down to one firearm. The SIG P220 Platinum Elite. I just have a few questions. There is not much talk or info online about this particular gem. I know it is a SIG product so the quality has to be there. However is there anyone here familiar with the P220 Platinum Elite? And does the aluminum hold up good? The slide is stainless. But I heard the Aluminum pieces an parts are not as strong as stainless pieces.

Just looking for any info or feedback anyone can give me on the SIG P220 Platinum Elite.

Thanks.

Kylen.

Fishbed77

Probably won't find a whole lot of discussion because it's an expensive and uncommon gun. Honestly, it's an overpriced variant of an already overpriced (but excellent) firearm. That said, to each his own - it does look like a very nice piece.

And does the aluminum hold up good? The slide is stainless. But I heard the Aluminum pieces an parts are not as strong as stainless pieces.

There are untold numbers of SIGs out there with aluminum frames that have been running for years and years and years with no issues. Just keep it properly lubed and you will have no problems.

Last edited:

kylen

Thanks. Are there any owners on here of the P220 Platinum Elite? I love the overall look of it. It just calls out to me.

shabodah

Actually, I was looking at the same gun myself. People say they are overpriced, but you'd never touch a better 1911 for less money, either, so, to each there own, I guess.

geetarman

I have the P220 Carry in stainless steel. If you are really concerned about frame wear, that might be the way to go. I really like mine.

Geetarman:D

bigredfish

I have a P220 Stainless Elite, love the pistol and will never part with it. You really can't go wrong with most any P220, The differences in the various models are mostly cosmetic (finish, grips) and Beavertail or not.

The differences between the Platinum and the Stainless are:
Anodized frame vs Stainless, (30 Oz vs 39 oz)
Adjustable rear site,
Aluminum grips,
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p220-platinum-elite.aspx
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p220-elite-stainless.aspx

Personally I prefer the all stainless guns in this price range. I'm admittedly old school, and for the same money, would take the Stainless Elite hands down, but to each his own. You'll love it.

Shef

I have a 9mm 226 in Platinum Elite and loved it ever since my first round. I've put 2500 through it already and every time I take it to the range, it just keeps getting better and better.

A few months ago, I decided to buy a 220 and was toying with the ideals getting another platinum elite but ended up getting the stainless elite. I just couldn't resists that wood grip and SS finish. I also wanted a heavier frame for shooting the .45. The only thing I miss about the platinum elite on my 220 are the sights. I really love the adjustable combat sights. That said, the 220 stainless shoots like a dream.

BGutzman

Honestly, it's an overpriced variant of an already overpriced (but excellent) firearm

Overpriced? A Glock cost how much in materials? Like under 60 dollars or some crazy thing and a steel sig that requires some level of actual machine work is overpriced???

My life is well worth the price and the quality, your milage may vary as you so choose...:cool:

Fishbed77

My life is well worth the price and the quality, your milage may vary as you so choose...

As we all know, cost does not equal quality. Ask all the poor folks who have bought Kimber Solos.

But, as I said in my first post the SIG Elites are very nice guns - I just don't personally see where they are really much nicer than the standard guns, unless you are just going for the appearance. As a I said, to each his own.