Sig P-210 RANT & question

VictorLouis

One of my 'dream guns' is now back in production. You would THINK this would bring prices DOWN some. This thing came out in the 50's, so I think the tooling has LONG since been paid for.:rolleyes:
Why is this gun STILL over $1500 for the 'cheap' version???:confused:
WHY can't they include more than ONE magazine with a $1500 gun? :mad:

Are the trigger and hammer rendered in stainless, or are they just chromed carbon parts?

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I believe the trigger, hammer, etc are hard-chromed rather than being stainless.

Cost does remain high, but for that you get a piece that's of the highest quality and involves considerable hand fitting. Compared to higher end guns like Baers, etc, the price seems OK.

I don't know why they don't include another magazine with the pistol. I reckon because they know that eventually most P210 shooters will pay the truly high price for at least one extra.

(By the way, I bought some unk aftermarket magazines for this gun and they kind of work some of the time. I bit the bullet and bought a few of the OEM magazines.)

Best.

corsair

Because they can. The P210 has tremendous brand equity, with that in mind, Sig can charge what is listed. In fact, they probably could've tacked on another $500 and people would still be climbing over each other to get in line. A lot of it has to do with marketing, being a limited production item requiring special ordering, Sig can get away with a higher price. Most buisness' today revolve around marketing, design and operational integrity. Most companies are weak in at least one of those catagories. As gun owners were all know the pitfalls and shortcomings of firearm manufacturers.

Tecolote

Labor Costs

Labor costs, especially for skilled crafstmen, is very expensive in Switzerland. I'm sure SIG Sauer is making a hefty profit, but you can be sure you're getting a hand fitted piece with accuracy that's outstanding for a production pistol. :)

croyance

Tooling may be new. Also, when you take inflation into account it may have been as cheap as you think.

Part of the high cost of labor goes into the social system there. The unemployed get unbelievable benefits there.

Brian Busch

As I have been informed, skilled labor ain't cheap in Europe, nor are import fees. Look at the HK P7, Walther P88, etc..

While it sucks, supply and demand, teutonic craftsmanship and all that drives up the prices on firearms like this (thanks DAKODAKID).

milcaztra

Where can I find a P210?

I spent a couple of days calling around Houston a few weeks ago to see if anyone knew where I could get a P210 ........ all responses were negative. Does anyone actually know of a distributor/wholesaler/gunshop that has a P210 in stock? If so, what's the going rate for the "lowest end" parkerized model?

:p

VictorLouis

Because they can. The P210 has tremendous brand equity

Ain't that the truth.:eek: I won't be picking up a new one anytime soon. For that matter, not even a used one. There are too many used S&W revolvers that can be had for the capital investment required for that gun. :D

Walt Sherrill

I'm in the process of selling my P-210-6 (or I think I am, anyway.)

The P-210-6 is the standard P-210 (2) with a match grade trigger.

They are, in effect, hand-made guns. But probably of better quality than the Baer custom guns that sell for $3000+, and it will certain prove to be as accurate -- and probably more durable.

(Mine is going for $1500, at about 95%, with 2 factory and 3 aftermarket mags that WORK!).

Mine came with a factory proof target that showed a 1.75" group at 50 meters (roughly 55 yards, I think).

Nice gun, but I want to pay off my new [read "used"] pickup -- and I have a nice CZ-85 Combat and Browning Hi-Power to tide me through.