Sig Mosquito problem

homesick

I am just wondering if any one else has had any problems with their Sig Mosquito. I had one and it jammed it didn't make any difference what ammo I would run through it so I sold it. I really like the feel of the gun it just seems to fit and point right for me. Today I bought another one Desert Digital threaded barrel all the nice stuff. I took it out and shot it and dang if the clip won't stay in. It clicks in like it is secure but when you shoot it the clip falls out. I emptied the clip and inserted the clip and with a slight tug you can pull it out never touching the magazine release button. Anyone out there have one that works.

Uncle Malice

Mosquito's are notorious for having problems.

My suggestion would be to get the Sig P226 Classic 22. It's a standard Sig P226 frame with the 22 top end. You can get the caliber exchange kit to convert the gun to 9mm, 357sig, or 40s&w later and have 2 guns in one.

I have a 22 kit for my 226 MK25 and it works pretty well. You want to at least break it in with high velocity ammo. I have about 1 failure every 50-100 rounds... which is pretty decent for a 22 conversion kit.

Conversely, my M&P22 pistol has been 100% perfect through about 1500 rounds so far. That's been quite surprising. It's a very reliable gun... it's just more fun for me to shoot the 226.

Machineguntony

I shot a Mosquito. I had the same problems as you, with FTE. It sucked so bad I bought the Ruger SR22, figuring that it couldn't be worse. Nothing but problems.

I have the Ruger with a threaded barrel, and I shoot it with a rim fire silencer. Lots of fun, but the FTE makes it effectively a single shot gun.

black.cap17

No problem with my Sig Mosquito

I also bought a Sig Mosquito in May 2013, exactly one year ago. It fit me well and I like how it looks. I also heard and read a lot if horror stories about the Mosquito being a "jam-o-matic", FTF, FTE, ... Am I just lucky ? I have shot some 4000 rounds, almost all CCI Mini Mag, and had about 5 incidents(FTF, FTE) all in the first 3 months and none ever since. I also hated the trigger at first and it got really better after 1000 rounds. Now I am really glad I did not get rid of it in the first months.

Roughedge

I did some work on the feed ramp of mine and it cleared things up. Polished the ramp and broke the angle at the top a little. So far it hasnt jamed again.

Darker Loaf

Yup. I bought one around when they came out, and it was a jam-o-matic as others have said. I'd have about 3-4 failure to eject or failure to feeds each magazine! I only used CCI Minimags in round nose, just like Sig and everybody suggests in autoloaders.

It was a total disappointment. I wish I had never sold my Browning Buckmark. It did feed almost 100% with CCI Minimags and towards the end of my ownership of it, it was broken in enough to feed lower power .22 LR. What a mistake.

I bought a 22/45, which had problems straight from the factory, but a VQ trigger kit cleared mine up and finally, I own a decent .22 LR pistol again. Good luck finding yours!

Buckmarks and classic Rugers (not the SR's though) seem to be the best of the bunch.

coldbeer

My SR22 eats everything from thunderbolts to minimags without a problem. they're one of the most reliable semi auto rimfire pistols on the market. Now if Ruger would stop selling sr-22's with warped frames and fix mine I might actually recommend the sr-22 but they won't and I can't.

Sweet Shooter

Our Mosquito: over 1000 rounds, not one fail—eats any ammo. The gun shoots a ten-round, one-inch ragged hole at 10 yards. We've deep cleaned it about three times.
-SS-

weblance

I called Sig and was told it was designed to shoot premium ammo with more than 40 grains. Lame.

I dont doubt Sig told you that, but thats a load of crap. My mosquito has been very reliable with anything I have put through it. That includes every bulk ammo I can find. 36 grain, and 40 grain. It is one of the newer ones like the OP. Threaded barrel, Desert Digital Camo. I like mine alot.

Sweet Shooter

I think fails are often a lube issue. Lately I've watched some guys oil their guns and it's almost like a grain in weight of oil cost a hundred dollars. Oil 'em fur folks sake, they run like the clappers!
-SS-

Darker Loaf

When I called Sig about my Mosquito they told me it was CCI's problem, not theirs! They had no good answer why they recommended shooting CCI Minimags (40 grains) AND came with a rebate, and then their gun couldn't run with it. They didn't offer to fix the gun or replace it or anything. It made me really doubt the whole Sig lineup.

homesick

Sig is gone I am looking in new direction. Kinda like the Walther P 22 my son has one and like he says it just works! Also looking at the Ruger leaning a bit toward made in America.

Sweet Shooter

@homesick
Sig is gone I am looking in new direction...
Good luck. 22LR was never designed to run in semi auto. If anyone can make it work, Sig can. I firmly believe that it is 75 % user issues.
But that's just me. And a few million others.
-SS-

Darker Loaf

Good work homesick! I'm proud of you. Buckmarks or Rugers will set you straight. I'd go Buckmark probably if I restarted, but like I said, I'm probably never buying another .22 LR semi-auto pistol. I hope you find a .22 that will run right for you.