SIG Mosquito Any thoughts?

grubbylabs

My wants one but I was in a shop today and two different people were telling me a bout a feeding problem they had with there's. One guy sold his and the other had to send his back to sig to get it to work.

Any one else have any problems, or are the usually pretty good guns?

EdInk

Like the name suggests it is a little pest. A black mark on an otherwise good company's record.

w_houle

:confused:... maybe if they weren't so darn expensive.
My understanding is that the plastic magazine causes problems.

w_houle

I was under the impression that the Mosquito has slide cracking issues with improperly attached silencers:eek:

grubbylabs

I have a friend with a Walther and he likes it a lot

OH and thanks for all the replies, I will pass it all along to my brother before he makes a mistake.

gglass

Mosquito thoughts. Hmmm... Bang, bang, bang, jam, bang, jam, bang, bang, jam, jam. Change mag and repeat.

AK103K

Mines always been fine, and its one of the "dreaded" early guns. For that matter, so's my P22, and it works fine too, although I've been told many times that both shouldnt.

I usually just shoot plain old Winchester Super X HP's out of mine, and its run as good as any of my other .22's. Mine really hasnt been picky about ammo at all. The only thing it didnt like, was Federal "Target".

The DA trigger takes a little getting used to, but its not bad once you do.

Are they making the mags out of plastic now? Mine are metal.

The couple of cases I saw where the slide was reported to have cracked when using a suppressor, was with early guns that had a plain barrel threaded, and the slide was impacting the suppressor, which it isnt supposed to do.

tt0511

I have a new one. Shot it only once on New Years Day. We put over around 75 rounds through it with the factory installed spring and had two failures to feed, and one time the extracting casing got caught in the breech.

We were shooting Federal Champion high velocity ammo, which is very affordable. The factory installed spring is supposed to be for the mini-mag rounds with 1400+ velocity. The Champion is around 1200/1250 I believe. Sig's website says for 1000+ velocity ammo, use the lighter spring that came with the gun, for 1400+ velocity ammo, use the factory installed spring. So, I plan to change out the springs and give it another try and see what happens.

Personally, I don't feel like two failures to feed and one failure to eject on a new gun, and a .22 pistol at that, is all that big of a problem. My 1911 had two failures to feed in the first 50 rounds. My opinion is that switching out to the lighter spring and giving the pistol another 100 rounds or so will eliminate the failures.

The pistol feels incredible in the hand and shoots very sweet and accurate. I don't anticipate hating this gun.

Doc Intrepid

Just for the record, not everyone is unhappy with theirs.

I've never had any problems with mine. I've only shot the mini-mags through it (which is the ammunition that was recommended.)

I realize that other guys have had real problems with them, and I'm not negating their experiences.

I'm just sayin'... mine has never had any problems feeding the mini-mags.

FWIW.

DAVE RICHHARDS

I was leary of buying a Mosquito also. Seems it was split about 50%-50% good versus bad. Anyways I bought one. Cleaned and lubed it before I took it out. Couldn't find any MiniMags so I started with Federal Bulk Pack. Would not shoot a magful without some kind of problem. Finally found three boxes of MiniMags. I put 300 rounds through it and not a problem. After that it has not had a bit of trouble shooting the Federal Bulk Pack. I don't like the idea of a gun needing a break in period. But the Mosquito does. I'm very happy with mine now. If you clean it well and lube it when you first get it and run the MiniMags through it you should be good to go.

spodwo

Mine is a newer model. Issues with the earlier ones. There are two springs - one stiffer than the other for heavier or lighter .22 loads.

Some people put the springs in backwards - that's a problem.

Mine works fine - very few jams. The manual says to keep it well lubed and I do...

THere are a lot of threads on this pistol - search and you will get a broader perspective.

MemphisJim

Count me as another pro-Skeeter voice. I bought my first one (a Sport) in Spring '07 to use as a trainer and muscle memory practice piece for my P229 (.40S&W) ans P228 (9mm) "carry" pistols. On first outing I experienced every issue associated with the gun (failures to feed/fire/extract, stovepipes, etc.) and was quite discouraged with it. I went into SigForum and found a wealth of experience and tips for it. For my first shooting session I had taken some bulk stuff (which was all I had available at the time). Before the next session, I stripped and cleaned it, then re-lubed and reassembled using the white spring, and took some CCI MiniMags (40 gr. solids) to the range. From then on, I have not had a single issue with it (save for the occasional failure-to-fire common to rimfire ammo). It now shoots any high velocity round I feed it. The second Mosquito (basic standard model) was acquired in summer '08 when a local gun shop took it back in trade from a disgruntled buyer. The buyer hadn't even cleaned and oiled it out of the box, used bulk for his first (and only session) and decided it's "junk." It was offered to me cheap. I just applied the lessons already learned, broke it in and have had zero problems with it since. In fact, my son casts covetous eyes on them and regularly remarks about my need to "eliminate duplication." When I seriously want to punch tight groups, I dig out the red dot-equipped Ruger MkII 22/45. For plinking and practice, it's a Skeeter every time.