Sig Mosquito 22LR

wolverine350

Has anyone purchased one of these pistols yet, and have you had the chance to fire the gun yet, I purchased one on 12/30/2006 and took the gun out for some target shooting, first of all the gun is shipped with 2 recoil spings, a white one for less spring, and a heavy one for more spring, i had 2 misfires and about 6 FTL out of the 80 rounds i fired, i am hearing a lot of bad reports on this gun as far as FTF,FTL, i was shooting federal bulk which i know is not the best but i read that cci mini mags is what to use, well heck if thats all i can shoot in it it being a Sig, then i guess this is a poor excuse for a 22 pistol at 370.00, when the ruger 22/45 mkIII at 240.00 and the buckmarks and most others will shoot anything, just my opinion but it bein a Sig it should shoot anything ya put in it. anyone else having problems or do you think im being a little picky lol

DarthTedd

Wolverine ... too bad to hear this man. I've heard those aren't the best. What does the dealer say?

I got a Buckmark Camper for $269 brand new. :(

Rugerrat

I have had a Mosquito for a little over a year now and really like it. I have really good results with Remington Thunderbolts and Winchester Super X ammo. Federal bulk ammo does not work well at all in mine.

wolverine350

well sig, give me a few tips to try and i got rid of the bulk federal, and gonna try the golden bullet remington bulk, as i hate to pay 6.00 for 100 rounds of the cci mini mag, sig said if those tips did not work to send it in, so guess we will have to see what happens, will keep ya posted steve

zukiphile

...first of all the gun is shipped with 2 recoil spings, a white one for less spring, and a heavy one for more spring,...

Which spring are you using? Try leaving the slide open with the weaker spring installed for a week. Most .22 function problems I've seen seem to arise from too little oomph to properly cycle.

hammer365

sorry to hear that you are haveing trouble with your miqueto, ive always been told that they were realy great out of the box guns. and every gun smith and dealer i have every talked to has nothing but good things to say about the misqueto. i personaly have a walther p22 and i love that little thing to death and i have never had a loading or feeding problem with it.

wolverine350

I am using the white spring which is the weaker spring of the 2 Sig sent with gun, with federal lightning i had 3 ftf, 8 ftl out of 80 rounds, fixing to go back to the range with federal bulk load no. 750, winchester x22lr, winchester xpert bulk, winchester x22lrpp, remington golden bullet bulk, cci mini mag hp, and cci blazer sp. gonna try at least 100 rounds of each ammo as i have all of these here at home, will give a report of my findings.

wolverine350

well going to range tomorrow with a bunch of different ammo to shoot in the Sig Mosquito, picked up a brick of the remington thunderbolt to add to the other stuff i got so we will see how well it does, ive got 8 different loads to try in it now that i know it wont work with federal lightning, which was poor anyway i think. will keep posted after i get back tomorrow

870 wingmaster

Remington ammo works well in the mosquito!!! golden bullets,thunderbolts,vipers,subsonics,cyclones all worked well. I had problems with federal,winchester and expensive target loads with mine. I put the middle front sight on mine and used the softer spring for the most part. CCI ammo also worked well for me.

Dino.

I've never owned a Mosquito but I know they don't really have a good reputation for reliability.
I have a P22 and love it, but they really don't have the greatest reputation for reliability either. :(

The only reliable .22 handgun I think I've ever owned was a Ruger Mark II. ;)

wolverine350

well Dino me and my wife bought pistols the same day and she purchased the P22 in nickle but she hasnt shot it yet,but i wish i would a bought the ruger mkIII for 240, i paid 370 for the Sig but going out tomorrow with 8 different loads to try, Sig recommends the cci mini mag which has a muzzle velocity of 1260 FPS and 127 FT LBS of energy, the loads im taking with me are
Winchester Xpert HP bulk - 1220 fps and 122 ft lbs
Winchester X22LRPP HP - 1280 140
Winchester X22LR SP - 1255 140
Federal 750 Bulk HP - 1280 130
CCI Mini Mag HP - 1260 127
CCI Blazer SP - 1235 140
Remington Thunderbolt - 1255 140
Remington Golden Bullet - 1280 131
so we will know what works what won't, am also taking both recoil springs with me as well, have a long session ahead dont i lol

wolverine350

well came back from the range, fired 50 rounds of winchester X22LR with no problems what soever, cci mini mags were problem free as well, fired 1 box of cci blazer and had 1 FTL from the magazine but was first shot D.A., the remington thunderbolts did not fare to well i had 3 FTFire, 1 FTFeedout of a 50 round box, the cci blazer i had 1 FTLoad from the magazine out of the 50 round box i had, The remington golden bullet bulk from walmart proved to be an excellent round, i had 2 failure to feed from the but by the time i had fired everything else the gun was starting to dirty up so could a been a dry gun causing those to not feed properly. My wife took her new Walther P@@ with us and that little pistol fired everything we put thru it, mostly federal lightning, which would not fire or feed right in the Sig., was very pleased with it, i almost believe it will take a good thousand rounds or so to get the Sig i would say broke in, it is an excellent shooter with the right ammo, cant fault it at all.

Rugerrat

Be sure to check the two screws which hold the barrel to the frame. As I learned on this forum, they will work loose fairly quickly and will need lock-tite to prevent them from doing so.

Hans

I like my Mosquito, but after handling a Buckmark, I think I would love the Browning. The Mosquito is fun for plinking, and I like the fact that it is so similar to my carry weapon (P228). However, I would like something w/a better trigger and more accuracy, and also something that I can mount a red dot on easily. Just depends on what you are using it for I guess.:)

ffxmike

I love my mosquito. It took some time, breaking it in, and then it got MUCH more reliable. after I had about 1000 rounds I stopped having any real issues. The occasional failure to fire, but no more often than I have with my 10/22.

Give it time, I think you'll really enjoy it. Just needs some breaking it. At least, thats all mine needed.

wolverine350

well after 400 rounds , still having feed problems, misfires, its in process of goin back to Sig for Repair or replacement, i want to be able to say it is very reliable but i cannot at this point :cool:

wolverine350

Well my Sig Mosquito has been with Sig since the 9th of January, haven't heard anything from them as what they are gonna do with the gun, love the way it shoots but does not want to function with hardly anything i put in it:confused:

wolverine350

Well haven't heard any news from Sig yet on my Mosquito, course its only been a week, hopefully when i get it back i will be able to shoot what i want in it, or at least i should be able to, brownings, rugers, walthers, and smiths you can, if it doesn't i've all ready got my sights on a Ruger MKIII:D