sig magazine question

TCman

I have three sig 229 mags in .40 cal that hold only 10 rounds. 12 round mags are kind of expensive at my local shop. I noticed the floorplate went up into the magazine tube farther than normal. Is there any way to get a different floorplate and spring to make the 10 round mags hold 12 rounds?

Dabull

I have factory 10 rounders also. They cannot be modified as the mag tube is cut short and jointed to a longer plastic block that incorporates the mag floorplate.

You describe yours differently, so maybe its possible, but my recollection is SIG made these 10 rounders such that they could not be easily retrofitted. A pic would help.

TCman

dabull my mags are like the ones you described. Is there a company that makes floorplates that compensate the short tube? It would have to be the opposite of what i have now.

Dabull

I doubt it. When these 10 rounders were made, it was illegal to modify them to hold 12. So, Sig helped prevent us from doing something illegal by using this design. Furthermore, aftermarket manufacturers would not have begun manufacturing a part for the purposes of making illegal conversions. Finally, once the ban was lifted and you could get a Sig Factory 12 rounder for the same price, there was no longer any incentive for a company to manufacture the conversions.

What you describe (floorplate that adds capacity) does exist...MecGar makes them...but they are designed to replace normal capacity mag floorplates and not these 10 round blocks.

My advice: buy some 12 round MecGar aftermarkets or factory mags for self defense; keep your 10 rounders for the practice range.

Last edited:

BigJimP

I don't know of any way to retrofit them.

Sig mags are expensive - but once you bite the bullet, they will last a long time. I only run Sig Mags in my Sigs - and Wilson Combat mags in my 1911's .

Dabull

Mec-Gar is as good as factory...they are an OEM for many top pistol manufacturers.

I couldn't find a Mec-Gar made for the P229 in .40 at TopGunSupply or CDNN Investments--looks like they only make them for the 9mm version.