Sig DAK pistols

Jeff22

My PD just issued new DAK Sigs in .40 caliber. We bought both 226Rs and 229Rs. I purchased a personal 226R and got it the same time the PD got their new guns.

I really like the DAK but have experienced some totally unexpected problems getting used to the new trigger system. (I have DA revolvers and SA auto pistols and DA/SA auto pistols in my battery, and I shoot a variety fairly regularly and I usually have NO difficulty switching back and force. I am quite surprised that it has taked me a while to get used to the DAK trigger system)

I found that when I really pushed for speed, or fired one handed past about 7 yards, or did any shooting past 15 yards, I tended to throw shots high left. (I'm right handed)

Last Friday morning I was instructing at in-service and I had an oppertunity to run about 200 rounds through a Sig 226R-DAK that had a short trigger installed. WOW! I shot a LOT better with it, even at speed and even out to 25 yards.

And I can't figure it out. I have big hands and long fingers, so I had not anticipated a problem with the "regular" DAK trigger. But, based on this experience, I suspect I'll shoot better with a DAK Sig if I have a short trigger fitted.

I recently read that the Bureau of Customs Enforcement ordered a significant quantity of DAK Sigs, and that they specified the short trigger on all the guns they ordered. I don't know if that's true, but based on my limited experience, that was probably a wise move.