sig classic in 22lr... questions...

brian923

Hey guys, i have been looking for a pistol in 22lr for a month now, and really want to get something for plinking, hunting and steel shooting. I really wanted something that was semi auto, but not really like the buckmark/ruger mark pistols. There good pistols, just wanted something different. Anyways, i came accross the sig website and seen that they offer 22lr pistols in the 220, 226, and the 229.(classic) The thing that really got my attention was that you can buy a slide kit to change your sig 22 to a 9mm or 40 sw. very intreging to me. my questions are, what are the differances between the 220, 226, and the 229? And, in there respected classes, can you buy any slide that matches the lower, or only the classic(x-change kit) ? Make sense? Thanks guys, let me know if this isnt very clear.

Pilot

You may also want to consider the CZ Kadet, and or Kadet Kit .22 conversion unit that works on any CZ-75 variant. Mine is stellar.

brian923

Ive contomplated the cz-75, but i already have an eaa witness match, and the 22lr conversion for that has many many mixed reviews. I have alwqys wanted to get into a sig, just figured this would be the best of both worlds situation. Though, i dont know if it would work better to get a 9mm, then get the 22lr conversion. I want a good 9mm, but cant really find any info on the x-change slides. Are they any good?

Merad

I believe that all of the Sig Classic .22LR's use the same size slide, so there's no real difference in size. So the main difference is in what it will convert to.

The P220 would be convertible to .45, the 226 and 229 will convert to 9mm, .40 and .357 Sig (with the 229 versions being slightly smaller after conversion).

Edit: Actually it does look like the P220 Classic .22 let you choose between DA/SA or SAO action. The 226 and 229 are just DA/SA.

RC20

If you really want a good field 22, then the dedicated ones are the best. Anything on the regular semi auto frame is a compromise (though I too like the look).

You might think about looking at a used S&W Model 41. Very high quality and accurate. Newer ones are setup for putting optics on top if that's a consideration (or soon will be if you are over 40).

I have a older one that I need to get a new barrel for (hate to drill the old one). Wonderful gun with the most amazing trigger.

brian923

Another question if you dont mind, are the xnchange slides the same slides as the ones that come on the 9mm sig p226? Or are the different. i would think the same, but i just want to make sure if i get the 22 classic first, that the 9mm will be just as good. If not, i would like to purchase the 9mm first and get the 22 conversion second. If im gonna b spending this much money, i want to make sure that im getting the best performance for the price. I dont want to settle.. thanks guys, brian.

sigcurious

same slide/upper as the base models with night sites. FWIW, I went the classic to 9mm route with a 226 and have been very happy with it. What pushed me over the edge is that the classic .22 + 9mm upper was ~$800, vs the base model 9mm plus .22 upper was ~$1000, either way you end up with the exact same bits of gun, but one way is a a bit less expensive. You may want to look around some places only stock the older production classics, with the original 22x grips, others have the newer production which come with the E2 grips for the 226/229. YMMV, but as I said I'm happy with mine.

TGReaper

Mine is a 226 E2 srt.The pistol started life as a .22 that required a bit of break in but now functions 100%.
I have two conversions for it,a 9mm and a 40 S&W both of the CF top ends have worked with out failure of any type.
Overall I am quite impressed,The .22 is not as accurate as my Hammerli International,and the CF uppers are not as accurate as my STI,s but this is one of my favorite all around handguns.
TGR