Sig C3 question

DS29

Hi,

I have 3 SigSauer 1911's, and mine are all 5 inch bbl. guns -- and my shooting buddy has a Sig 1911 with a 4.25 inch bbl....

I do also have a Colt Commander -- and the Sig 'C3' uses the same springs as the Colt Commander ...

The stock recoil spring is 20 lbs.... and must be a spring made for a gun with a 4.25 inch bbl. -- and is for for standard factory .45 a.c.p. ammo

The Colt factory used to use an 18 lb. recoil spring in their Commanders, which is a little light for full house {standard} factory ammo -- I do not know what Colt uses now..... however, the rest of the world has settled on a 20 lb. recoil spring in 4.25 inch barreled 1911's for factory ammo

You can find springs at Wolff Gun Springs, either direct or through 'Brownells', a major supplier of factory and aftermarket gun parts, and gunsmith items

SigSauer buys their all of their 1911 springs direct from Wolff

Retail for one new spring is approx. $8, and if it is a Wolff brand spring, it will come with a new firing pin spring....which may not be needed every time you swap out the recoil spring, but at least change it every other time

with the exception of the 'Commander' sized/weight recoil spring, every other spring in the C3 is exactly the same as those for a standard 1911

SigSauer uses 20 lb. hammer springs, also called the mainspring..... and that is what I change all my 1911's to .... it is strong enough to do the job on the primer...but not so light as to give misfires.... I would not go any lighter with that one

Another manufacturer of recoil springs for 1911's is 'I.S.M.I.'..... and they claim their steel alloy is superior.... I have tried them and cannot discern any difference.... and I keep 4 or 5 extra recoild springs around here. You can buy I.S.M.I. springs direct on the web... or through Brownells, also

change out the recoil spring at about the 2,000 to 3,000 round point in time -- or when the empties are hitting the ground more than 10 feet away from the pistol. Ideally, the first bounce for an empty case should be at a minimum 5 or 6 feet from the pistol, and less than approx. 12 feet away..... when /if your recoil spring is old and tired, you will know it, and the empties will go way beyond 10 or 12 feeet away.

Last, even if you only have 1,000 rounds through the gun, and are thinking about whether the recoil spring needs changing -- just do it... since at $8 {approx.} per spring, it is not worth worrying about... and do DISCARD the old spring !....{I used to keep them -- and then I got the new and old ones mixed up ....a major pain in the butt !...now when I change springs, the old one hits the trash can immediately}

enjoy your Sig !.... I bought 2 of the early 5 inch GSR's {with the little 'man-hole' cover screw in the slide}....and when my buddy wanted to sell/trade out his 'TTT' 5 inch GSR 1911, I jumped on it.....

DS29

P.S. -- All GSR's have the Colt style 'series 80' firing pin safety ...which degrades the trigger pull approx. 1/4 lb. or a little more ---

it is very esily removed -- just remove the firing pin and in the process the little plunger in the slide will fall out, along with its little spring which is underneath it.... that is all there is to it.....

the two 'series 80' levers int he frame can stay there, and they just will not have a plunger to act upon.... to remove them, you will need a $5 shim from 'T.J.'s Custom' ... which may be purchased direct or through Brownells. I found that the GSR's are so precisely machined, that the little shim {stamped sheet steel, with 2 holes in it... it is approx. 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch} had to be polished up on each side to smooth out the surface, and make it {almost} perfectly flat.... I just used a knife sharpening stone and rubbed the shim on it for a minute or two on each side. That little shim is not out of spec -- it was made to go into a Colt brand 1911, with it looser tolerances, and they do just 'drop in' to the Colts

///

kayakersteve

DS29

Thanks for the great information - it was very helpful.

I am new to this 1911 stuff, but definately addicted.

Since you obviously know a lot, Here's my thought. Please tell me if misguided.

I shoot 200-250 round of Fiocchi FMJ 230 weekly, but carry Hornady 230 gn TAP +p for self defense. I have been shooting around 50 rounds of the Hornady +p every other week - I am concerned about the +p on excessive wear. What do you think?? Would a deiferent recoil spring help ease the wear on the gun??

Thanks for any input.

SteveB

DS29

Hi,

I don't think you will have any issues with the +P ammo....and your spring -- but the +P ammo with shorten the life of your recoil spring tho'...so I would ensure I had a couple of back-ups handy,

with +P ammo, watch the empties, and if they are going more than 12 feet from the pistol, I would up the spring to 22 lbs. -- but I would be sure that the new 22 lb. spring still tossed the empties at LEAST 5 or 6 feet from the gun...... and for carry, I would go back to the stock spring weight of 20 lbs. -- you will probably never shoot more than a couple of rounds, maybe a full clip, when defending yourself... if ever....so stay with the stock spring weight for carry and reliability, and if worried about the gun geting battered in practice -- try the 22 lb. spring... it is only an $8 experiment, and it is very easy to swap out springs

also -- recoil springs for 1911 in different barrel lengths have different spring lengths -- ensure you use a spring designed to go into a 'Commander' sized gun, with its 4.25 inch bbl.......using either 'Wolff' or I.S.M.I. brand springs for a 'Commander' -- either will work just perfectly

re the Horn. ammo .... I have about 9 or 10 1911's, including 3 Sig's and mostly in .45 a.c.p..... some {most of mine} guns will eat up truncated cone bullet ammo and a couple do not like it -- there is no way to tell, except shooting the ammo

I saw that in my reloads using tuncated cone bullets, and 2 of my 1911's

Interestingly, the original Federal 'Hydra-shock' bullets used a truncated cone shape, and later the moved to a rounded profile bullet, with an 'ogive' ... they just changed, there was no announcement -- all this occurred about 12 to 14 years ago..... so I use ammo which has a bullet with a rounded profile...obviously Hornady feels pretty good about their ammo...it is fine stuff, ..... however, if you experience any fail to feed issues, and you are sure it is not limp wristing the gun, then try some Speer 'Gold Dot' JHP, carry ammo -- it comes in 200 gr. JHP,, and 230 grain JHP...both in std. pressure and +P in both bullet weights.... that is what I carry -- usually the 200 gr. +P Gold Dots.... I believe 'Midway' {reloading supply and more}, and 'Cheaper than Dirt' mail order places carry the Gold Dots, the Hornady XTP 'TAP', and most other carry ammo....all at prices a lot less than your corner gun shop

DS29

KChen986

With respect DS9, the stock recoil spring on my Sig GSR (basically a C3 w/ melt treatment) was far below 18lbs, and not even close to 20lbs. I have an 18lb spring in there right now and it works great, but 20lbs makes the gun a lot snappier and occasional throws brass on to my forehead. If you compare the stock spring to the 18lbs spring, the 18lb spring is noticeably stiffer.

kayakersteve

so,

Does a heavier spring make the gun less reliable?? I would have thought the opposite!! My C3 loves the Hornady Tap, hydroshocks and many others - I am about to try the HST's next. The only HP I have found that it just cant handle is the CorBon 185 JHP.

Thanks to both of you for the great information.

DS29

ok, guys.... I hope I am not offending anyone... I am just trying to report my experiences, and what the major gunspring mfgr advises {SigSauer's 1911 spring supplier is Wolff Gunsprings ... so I almost always go with their recommendations, and did so before I owned a Sig 1911}
per Wolff GunSprings, a stock spring in a 4.25 inch bbl 1911 is 18 lbs.
I have a few 5 inch guns and 1 Colt combat Commander -- with a 4.25 in. bbl.
Per Wolff, the 20 lb. spring is appropriate and useful for all full power loads and definitely for +P ammo, in the 4.25 inch barrelled gun.... it is in my 4.25 inch 1911, and that is the only spring I buy for it
I have run a 20 lb. spring in my commnder, for several years with no problems.
My 5 inch 1911's, 3 Sig's, and a few others, all seem happy with an 18 lb. or 18.5 lb. spring ... for factory standard full power loads, and for +P carry /defensive ammo.
Note that the springs for a 5 inch, or Gov't model 1911 are different than the srping for a 4.25 inch barrelled gun. Even if the specified spring 'weight' is the same
both may have the same or similar spring weight rating, but the spring for a 5 inch gun will be longer fresh out of the box than will the spring for a 4.25 inch gun.
I have used the recommendation from Wolff with no problems.... that is, they spec. a 'std' spring {per original John Browning specs} for the 5 inch gun at 16 lbs., and most 1911 mfgrs now install 18 /18.5 lb. springs... which is what I use
Colt 'invented' the 4.25 inch 1911 in the 1950's, and anecdotally used a 18 lb. spring...it has to be a little heavier, due to the shorter recoil path. {'heavier than the stock, Colt, J. Browning specified 16 lb. spring for the 5 ich Gov't model}
I do not know what the mfgr's use now for the 4.25 in bbl'd guns, however, my Commander and my buddy's SigSauer 'Compact' model {not sure of the precise nomenclature}, which has a 4.25 inch bbl., are both running just fine with Wolff brand, 20 lb. recoil springs.... I personally have not used heavier springs in a 4.25 inch barrelled 1911, but do run them in my 5 inch 1911's in 10 mm and .40 S&W.
Re 'less reliable'.....no, if the spring is matched to the ammo:

empties should hit the ground on the first bounce at approx. 5 or 6 feet to 10 to 12 feet away....... and obviously, if we are shooting 'softball' target ammo, the gun may fail to operate, unless we sue a very light recoil spring, maybe 10, 12, or 14 lbs.

if we are firing ALL +P ammo, and the stock spring tosses the empties 15 or more feet away from the gun, your spring is too light -- for that ammo

no one spring will be ideal for widely varying power n the ammo.... and how far the empties go is the very best indicator of what's going on and how well matched to the ammo your spring is

I shoot full power reloads in most of my 1911's, and my empties, with fresh springs, hit the ground approx. 5 or 6 feet away initially, and after a couple of range sessions, they are hitting at approx. 10 feet. Once I see that first bounce moving farther out than 10 feet, I change the spring. I keep several extra's in my range bag

DS29

kayakersteve

thanks

DS 29 - Thank you for taking the time to type that response and make that so clear. It really was and is going to be helpful - I understand that I need to match the spring to my main ammo - I appreciate your time.

kayakersteve

One more ting...

DS 29 - Are you commonly replacing the guide rod when replacing the spring?? Is there merit in switching to a full length rod?? What about shok buffs?? Do they help??

KyJim

Ed Brown also uses and recommends 20 pound springs in the commander sized guns and 18 pound springs for government sized. I am aware that some manufacturers use 18 for commander and 16 for government.

Kayakersteve -- there is no reason to replace the guide rod. It is not being worn like the spring is. A full length guide rod does not enhance reliability. Some think it shoots a bit smoother but I can't tell it. It does add a bit of muzzle weight which theoretically means you should be able to get back on target faster but I think the difference would be minimal in a real life incident. They are also make the gun more difficult to field strip. I've also heard that the two piece FLGRs can come loose during shooting but I have never seen this.

Shok Buffs are not necessary and serve only two purposes -- to soften the felt recoil a bit and to make money for the gun/parts makers.

DS29

there is noi need to replace the recoil spring guide rod.....not for years, if ever
'some' 1911's will NOT like shock buffs, some re ok with them... I stay away since having a problem once... if you want to try, install one, and rack the slide...see where the slide stop is in relation to the notch in the slide into which it fits... the slide stop's 'bump' should be a hair, at a minimum past the slide notch for it... if they are just matching up, likely the slide will not lock open nd the front of the gun will be unhappy

re C3's....it is a 4.25 inch bbl'd 1911, and the 'stock' weight is 20 lbs from all / almost all 1911 mfgr's.... and it must be in a 'Commander' length spring... you cannot use a spring for a Gov't {5 inch} barrelled gun, as its unloaded length is too long

if you want to beat up your gun, go with the 18 lb. spring for 4.25 inch bll'd 1911's....I would not, though

you can always ask Sig, and/ or buy an $8 spring from them for $25 or whatever they charge...

if you want to check the spring mfgr's, go to

W.C. Wolff Co.

Wolff GunSprings

http://www.gunsprings.com/Resources/welcomeNOF.html

and

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/ColtNF.html#Commander

this is their full listing for 1911 Colt Commnder Pistols {a 'Commander' == a 4.25 inch bbl. 1911} {see below}

they do not {no one does} have separate listings for SigSauer, Kimber, Springfield, etc. 1911's

the bbl length and the caliber determine the standard spring 'weight' and length

Note well, that although they say 18 lbs. is 'standard'...almost all {if not all} manufacturers of 1911's with 4.25 inch bbls, use a 20 lb. recoild spring from the fctory, and almost always, it came from Wolff {Sig buys their spring from Wolff, at least for all 1911's}

the old 'standard' was established byu colt, in the 1950's when Colt 'invented' the 'commander' or 4.25 inch barrelled 1911. oh, it's reliable as hell with the 18lb. spring... AND it will beat up your gun unmerciflly

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

COLT COMMANDER Series Pistols

RECOIL SPRINGS

Recoil springs for Colt Commander series pistols are available in both conventional and variable power designs. Please refer to our FAQ section for information on conventional vs. variable design. Each recoil spring for Colt pistols includes an extra power firing pin spring. Recoil Calibration Paks are available offering a range of spring weights to tune your pistols recoil function.

Conventional Recoil Springs - .45 ACP

* Reduced Power : 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 Lb.
* Factory Standard : 18 Lb.
* Extra Power : 20, 22, 24, 26 and 27 Lb.

Stock No. 422xx.....$ 7.89 ea Click button to purchase
Please Note: Replace the "xx" in the stock number with the pound rating of spring.

Variable Power Recoil Springs - .45 ACP

* Reduced Power : 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17 Lb.
* Factory Std. : 18 Lb.
* Extra Power : 19, 20 and 21 Lb.

Stock No. 425xx.....$ 7.89 ea Click button to purchase
Please Note: Replace the "xx" in the stock number with the pound rating of spring.

Super .38/9mm Recoil Spring Note:
The factory recoil spring rating for Commander super .38 and 9mm calibers is 16 pounds. When ordering above recoil springs for these calibers, please take this difference into consideration.

RECOIL CALIBRATION PAKS - Colt Commander

Reduced Power Pak - Conventional
This pak contains 1 each of 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 Lb. reduced power conventional recoil springs and 3 each extra power firing pin springs.
Stock No. 13102.....$ 31.49Click button to purchase

Extra Power Pak - Conventional
This pak contains 1 each of 18 Lb. factory standard spring, 20, 22 , 24 and 26 Lb. extra power conventional recoil springs and 3 each extra power firing pin springs.
Stock No. 13101.....$ 31.49Click button to purchase

Reduced Power Pak - Variable
This pak contains 1 each of 18 Lb. factory standard spring, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 Lb. reduced power variable recoil springs and 3 each extra power firing pin springs.
Stock No. 13105.....$ 56.79Click button to purchase

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

this is the web site for I.S.M.I. gunsprings:

http://www.ismi-gunsprings.com/

they do not list separate springs for horter bbl;d 1911's {not the 4.25 in. bbl., anyway}

DS29

P.S. re guide rods

a P.S. re guide rods

I used to use a s.s. full length guide rod, moslty for the extra weight, which helped attenuate the muzzle flip, and also it minimized my shaking of the gun when shooting offhand, standing

now I am older, and use a tungsten full length guide rod, as I am even less steady, and appreciate the extra weight to slow down the jerky movements while aiming

the weight from the guide rod works just like the bbl weights on fancy .22 target pistols -- easier to hold steady .. but less fun to carry, if one carries the 1911.

you can also purchase a tungsten guide rod plug from Brownells... it is sized for a 5 inch gun, and has a hole in the end, so it will work with a short, std. guide rod, or a full length one

tungsten items are expensive likely due to being tough to work with... $50 approx for the plug, and $90 for the guide rod

also look into the same stuff from 'EGW' ..Evolution Gun Works ... smll shop, good guys and you cn talk to one of the guys who actually makes things, just tell the woman phone answerer you have a technical question re 1911's for one of the guys

http://www.egw-guns.com/

kayakersteve

Thanks again for the great information from all that contributed

I will use a 20# replacement and have already ordered it from Wolf - And it is for a commander, not gov. Thanks again. SteveB

kayakersteve

Help - Is it the right one???

I got my springs today - Both are wolff - the 20# is 42220 and the 18# is 42218 - I am concerned because when I lay the old next to the new, the new is ~3/4 inch longer. Is this OK??? It fits in fine and the gun cycles fine - Want to go shoot it but was unsure why it is longer?????

kayakersteve

I shot it anyhow

I went to range and fired ~50 rounds - Excellent performance with no issues - The slide is noticably harder to manually move, but worked well.