Sig 9mm P226 MK 25 Navy spring guide

HMC8404

I've been researching this Sig for quite some time, and today I finally pulled the trigger, so to speak. On order and should be here in 4 days. Most jazzed about getting this one!

Only one question for you Sig people out there...

Is the composite spring guide good to go, or should I switch it out for steel? I haven't heard about any wear issues with the factory ones, but would like your opinion.

THANKS!

Uncle Malice

They might? I'm not entirely sure. My recent production 229 and 220's both had steel guide rods as well. The 229 Stainless Elite I picked up around 2010 did have the plastic version.

I think they might have gone back to all steel these days, but I can't say for sure. For what it's worth, I never had a problem with the plastic one in my stainless elite.

I generally prefer the metal ones, but I usually don't replace them if they come with plastic. I've had more issues from using aftermarket guide rods than I ever have from plastic OEM versions.

No worries though. You'll be all set with the MK25. It's a fantastic gun. If I could make a couple of recommendations: get the Sig SRT kit and the Gray Guns P-SPIT trigger.

You might also consider springing for the Hogue G10 grips. They are superb.

stt1QhB.jpg

Hammerhead

Congrats on the MK 25! Great gun, smooth and accurate, terrific grip shape.
I had one of the early ones without the rail on the dustcover. I let it get away in a trade and regretted it ever since.
IIRC mine had a steel guide rod.

HMC8404

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Yeah, I best keep this Sig, or the boss lady might give me a thrashing.

marine6680

As far as I know, they are all steel rods in the 226 line.

Poly rods work fine if designed right. As all they need to do is keep the spring straight and prevent it from kinking when compressed.

WVsig

People worry way too much about guide rods. Polymer, metal, both work.

Some people like the steel guide rod for the added weight. It is not always a reliability issue.

TunnelRat

Some people like the steel guide rod for the added weight. It is not always a reliability issue.

Added weight up front can lower recoil, but it also makes it slower transitioning between targets. There are trade offs either way.

I have an original P226 E2 and it has the short extractor. I can't stand the long extractor. I saw two break at my old job. Nope nope.

Anyways, I too opt for the metal guide rod.

I can't post pics because my Tapatalk App says everything under the sun is "too big" so whatever.

rodfac

Great gun. Mine is the most accurate 9mm I've ever owned and it's even more accurate with Sig's .22 lr upper. I have a .40 upper as well that's as good as the 9. Regards Rod