Sig 556xi

colbad

Went looking for a $8.00 scope mount today and ended up with a new Sig 556 xi rifle. Anyone have any good or bad experience with this or the other 556 line. I liked the pop up sights on this model over the others. Figured it was not going to get any cheaper than than the $1100 so bought it while I still can.

sailskidrive

They're basically a bastardized SIG 550/551; they had a lot of quality control and cycling issues when they were first released, but SIG seems to have the problems worked out now.

stubbicatt

Don't know xi...

...but my 556 Classic has been a good rifle for the first 1000 rounds or so. I have discovered that the bolt and carrier and receiver do not accumulate fouling to any extent, but it is a good idea to pop the regulator/oprod/gas tube and keep them clean.

Hope you enjoy yours.

halfcocked

I have a 556 Classic Swat. It goes bang every time. Many say the 556 is a bastardization of the 55X line, and my initial thought was that also. However I think it's pretty handy that it takes AR mags, so I think of it now more as an evolution. My main gripe with mine was the flimsy collapsible folding stock. It looks good and is a good idea, but has way too much play in it and rattled. I tried a few ways to bubba fix it, but ended up removing it, installing a new aluminum mounting block and installing a Magpul CTR stock (or any AR stock will now work). The only other gripe is that it is very front heavy. My remedy was to get a forward pistol grip mounted close to the mag well to improve it's handiness and it makes my elbow tuck in nice into my side for a steady hold. The pistol grip also helps with the chunkiness of the quad rail forend that makes it difficult for my hands to hold onto comfortably. Overall a great rifle though. It's a good AR substitute for those with a chip against the AR since everyone else has one. The only other improvements I have in mind is to replace the rear sling swivel hole to mount a real sling loop and a new rear pistol grip. The factory feels pretty good but is a little too big for my hand. I found a grip that is smaller in the web area of the hand, which will also make mag changes easier (the mag release is about 1/2" too far forward to release without changing hold on the grip.

stubbicatt

Matthias spring kit

Guys. I ordered up a spring kit for the 556 from a Matthias in Germany who posts on the Sig forum. Took quite awhile yesterday but got it installed according to instructions. The trigger is a bit lighter than before, but that is not what has me agog! There is now an overtravel stop, and a really quick reset.

I haven't shot the beast yet, but so far just futzing about in the living room, the reset is very nice, and I think perhaps this might make the rifle more manageable for 3 gun type stuff.

Will keep you posted.