Sig 357 vs ,357 s&w

FM12

Thinking of adding a 357 sig
to upgrade
My m66 s&,w. Not a Glock fanboy. Suggestions?
Are the 2 comparBle in power? I bought the 66 just for the power (and I'm a revolver guy.)

TunnelRat

I would say it depends. The projectiles are the same weight so the question is can you get the same velocity out of 357 SIG as 357 Magnum? What I've been able to tell is this will depend pretty heavily on the barrel lengths of both firearms. A snub nose 357 Magnum gives up quite a bit of velocity compared to a 4" service revolver.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mosin44az

.357 SIG was designed to match the ballistics of the 125 grain.357 magnum, so comparable to that in power. Not sure what the offerings are these days, gun-wise.

Cheapshooter

The 357 Magnum revolver cartridge is much more versatile. Having a wider selection of bullet weights available. The Sig round is limited to the 125 gr. and a couple more up to 147. The energy level is comparable in similar weight projectiles.

74A95

180 grain bullets are available in the 357 Sig: http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=303_332&product_id=563

For guns other than Glock, check out SIG and S&W.

In addition to their standard line of pistols in 357 Sig, Sig also offers a 1911 in 357 Sig. e.g. https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-fastback-nightmare-full-size.html

S&W used to offer their M&P in 357 Sig. They don't currently, but you can buy a 40 S&W M&P and put in a S&W or aftermarket barrel.

S&W barrel (on backorder): https://www.midwayusa.com/product/339103/smith-and-wesson-barrel-s-and-w-m-and-p-357-sig-4-1-4

Aftermarket M&P barrels:

http://www.storm-lake.com/
https://kkmprecision.com/

I put a KKM 357 Sig barrel in my 40 M&P. Works fine.

JeffK

I've had a few limp-wrist misfires with my P226 in .357-SIG, otherwise it's been remarkably reliable and fun to shoot. One drawback compared with other semi-auto calibers (other than ammo availability) is, you burn through barrels relatively quickly.

74A95

I've had a few limp-wrist misfires with my P226 in .357-SIG, otherwise it's been remarkably reliable and fun to shoot. One drawback compared with other semi-auto calibers (other than ammo availability) is, you burn through barrels relatively quickly.

As the saying goes, if you can afford the ammo to wear out a barrel, you can afford a new barrel.

JeffK

True, the cost of a new barrel is small compared with the cost of all the ammo it took to burn up the barrel. But not negligibly small, it's a 10-20% premium on top of the ammo, depending on how much accuracy loss you're willing to tolerate before you replace the barrel.

74A95

True, the cost of a new barrel is small compared with the cost of all the ammo it took to burn up the barrel. But not negligibly small, it's a 10-20% premium on top of the ammo, depending on how much accuracy loss you're willing to tolerate before you replace the barrel.

Most people will never shoot in their lifetime the required 10s of thousands of rounds in one gun to shoot out a barrel.

JeffK

You must not shoot .357-SIG, or care about accuracy. I replaced my barrel at about 3K rounds, and the rifling was almost invisible and the accuracy was gone. New barrel, poof, it's accurate again.

74A95

You must not shoot .357-SIG, or care about accuracy. I replaced my barrel at about 3K rounds, and the rifling was almost invisible and the accuracy was gone. New barrel, poof, it's accurate again.

The rifling were almost invisible at 3,000 rounds???

That sounds like the worst quality barrel or the most erosive gunpowder on the planet.

NoSecondBest

The rifling were almost invisible at 3,000 rounds???

That sounds like the worst quality barrel or the most erosive gunpowder on the planet.
Or......it could have been the worst case of leading anyone ever saw.

dontcatchmany

I have 357 Sig barrels for three of my 40 S&W semis.

I initially got a barrel for a FNX 40 and went to the range to shoot it. After a goodly number of shots at 10 yds for familiarization I aimed at a target that was 75 yards away. That ammo is extremely accurate. I was just a couple of inches from my aim point.

I like the caliber and have that FNX with 357 Sig in my truck.

Some complain about the muzzle flip and the loudness. I have no problem with it.

I run 125 gr JHP other than at the range.

With the 40s (4) that I have I can choose between 40, 357 Sig and 9mm with a barrel change and proper magazines where necessary.

disseminator

I would say it depends on what your gonna use the gun for as both are excellent and very effective calibers.

I have found that the SIG round works best with 125 grain bullets. I have hand loaded 147 grain bullets as well but I found 125 better overall in my 2 357 SIG firearms. (226 & M&P)

The Magnum is a lot more versatile as mentioned and brass is a lot more availablel for reloading. Commercial ammo will heavily favor the Magnum as well.

I have shot several hundreds of rounds from my 686+ and my buddies 586 and would recommend either gun without hesitation.

Walt Sherrill

Note, too, that S&W has discontinued all of their .357 SIG models.

Here in NC, the Highway Patrol used the S&W M&P in .357 SIG for a year or so and had a lot of problems -- which S&W was unable to correct. Because my son is a Master Trooper, I heard about their .357 SIG issues firsthand and followed this topic closely. S&W bought the guns back several years ago, and the NCHP now uses SIG P226 models in .357 SIG.

S&W owners shooting 357 SIG models who participate on the S&W Forum have NOT talked about any problems.

While I'm not a big SIG lover (even though I have had many of them over the years), if I were intent upon shooting the .357 SIG round, I'd do it in a SIG P226.

BIGR

Note, too, that S&W has discontinued all of their .357 SIG models.

Here in NC, the Highway Patrol used the S&W M&P in .357 SIG for a year or so and had a lot of problems -- which S&W was unable to correct. Because my son is a Master Trooper, I heard about their .357 SIG issues firsthand and followed this topic closely. S&W bought the guns back several years ago, and the NCHP now uses SIG P226 models in .357 SIG.

S&W owners shooting 357 SIG models who participate on the S&W Forum have NOT talked about any problems.

While I'm not a big SIG lover (even though I have had many of them over the years), if I were intent upon shooting the .357 SIG round, I'd do it in a SIG P226.

I am very familiar with the M&P 357 SIG and P226 357 SIG. Not all of those M&P's gave trouble, I have an M&P that was pretty well flawless other than it liked to shoot low and to the left.. If I recall correctly it was a feed ramp issue, not sure, seemed like it really started happening when the gun got dirty at the range.

Enter the Sig P226 (357 SIG), it would hit at the point of aim and never, ever, gave any problems, one of the best side arms a person could ask for.

Walt Sherrill

BIGR said:
I am very familiar with the M&P 357 SIG and P226 357 SIG. Not all of those M&P's gave trouble, I have an M&P that was pretty well flawless other than it liked to shoot low and to the left.. If I recall correctly it was a feed ramp issue, not sure, seemed like it really started happening when the gun got dirty at the range.

Enter the Sig P226 (357 SIG), it would hit at the point of aim and never, ever, gave any problems, one of the best side arms a person could ask for.

As I noted, many S&W shooters have NEVER had problems with their .357 M&Ps. Why only some models were affected has never been explained. As I also noted, S&W sent their technical people to NC, and spent time and money here trying to understand and resolve the problems. They eventually took a number of guns back with them for further study.

To the best of my knowledge, they never figured out why the NCHP was having problems with their weapons, but S&W later discontinued production of the .357 models and DID NOT reintroduce that round when they brought version 2.0. (They are no .357 models in their current catalog.)

Perhaps it was as you suggest, feed ramp-related -- I had not heard that -- they were "feed" related problems, but they occurred with guns that were clean or dirty. If the problems could have be resolved by a redesign of the feed ramp, or by calling for a stricter cleaning routine, I think the NCHP would have kept the guns.

This entire issue was well covered in the media here in North Carolina, when the problems were first brought to the attention of the Patrol's senior management (some of whom experienced issues themselves during their periodic re-qualifications at the range); the media also followed up when it became clear that S&W was unable to make them right, and when the NCHP switched to the P226 in .357 SIG.

I've owned both 9mm and .40 cal. versions of the M&P Pro, and still have the 9mm version (which came to me with a lot of Speed Specialities upgrades) I couldn't shoot my .40 model well, which was similarly upgraded with APEX parts, but others could -- so I knew it wasn't the gun. That 9mm is one of my best shooting handguns.

Last edited: