Sig 239. Similar to 226?

MosinM38

Okay, sort of a newbie question. So up front :rolleyes:

How similar to a full size 226 does a 239 sig handle? I've got a .40 226 and handled a 228 9mm and 229 .40, but have never seen a 239 to handle.

Now the 228/9's I HAVE handled I love the feel of. Just natural pointers.

Is the 239 similar in that area?

I was wanting a 9MM and wasn't decided between a 228/9 or 239. I CC my 226 sig so I didn't need a concealment gun, but am slightly edging for the 239 as it IS smaller, but still relatively large enough to easily shoot.

Leastways, I was wondering if anyone who had both a full size and the 239 knew how they compared?

If the 239 handles the same: It's the #1 choice. If it handles worse: 228/9 it is.

Logs

I had a 239 and have a 226 and the 239 is much smaller. The 239 is a bit bigger than my P6 and a little smaller to my 228. I got rid of my 239 only because I wanted to carry a larger mag so I bought the 228 and a Sig Pro.

DSC00011-4.jpg

cslinger

239 is a single stack and feels totally different then the double stack 226 or 228/229. It is noticeably smaller to me and personally I prefer its feel to the others mentioned but I have little girly hands.

They both operate the same way as in decocker levers, slide stops etc. Both can come in DAK versions(light double action only basically) with no decocker.

I suggest finding one to handle as they are quite different in feel.

tackdriver

For me, the 239 was the siren at the pistol counter. Man, I loved the way it looked, the way it felt and the way it rode IWB. I coveted one for about a decade. I sold a well-loved, but extremely sweet Springfield 1911 CCO and a humpback .357 to buy one.

We quickly parted ways.

In deliberate double-action fire, I could get 1.5-2 inch groups at 10 yards. It was amazing. In single-action, it looked more like someone had dumped a few rounds of 00 buck into the target at 7 yards. It was terrible, but it was me and it was beyond fixing because MAN did I try. I've shot the 226 and 228 and while I didn't love the way they felt in my hand, I didn't have that problem.

The moral of my story is that if I ever get an opportunity to spend that much money on a pistol again, you can darn well bet I'm going to scour the earth if I have to to find one to shoot -- not just fondle -- first.

Logs also makes a good point -- the 239 is not practically smaller than the 228/229 in my book. I think if I'd listened to others and would have bought the 229, I'd still have it.

Last edited:

carguychris

As others have pointed out, the two pistols feel very different. The P239 has a drastically thinner grip frame. IMHO the best comparison to the P239 is, other than the frame-mounted decocker, a full-size S&W 39-series single-stack pistol. (I suspect the "39" in both names is coincidental. ;) ) The grip is 1911-thin, but with more of a curve to the backstrap than a 1911. I find both the P239 and S&W 39-series to be natural pointers, but YMMV.

I can shoot a P239 very well, better than a P226/229 in fact. However, I agree with a common criticism of the P239- by today's standards, like the S&W 39-series, it's somewhat large and heavy for a pistol with only 8+1 capacity. The good news is that this makes it relatively soft-shooting and easy to hold on target compared to, say, a Kahr. :) The bad news is that it's comparable in size to several popular polymer double-stack compacts with 12+1 capacity, yet it's heavier than most of them, and it's a proverbial boat anchor compared to other contemporary single-stack subcompacts like, say, a Kahr. :( IMHO it's a very nice gun, but it suffers from being neither fish nor fowl from a CCW standpoint.

Given the fact that you're comfortable with the concealability of your P228/229, I don't think the P239 will be much of an improvement.

WARRIOR I

SIG 239

Well, this has been my favorite ccw for about 9 years now, so I
can't just let all these negative comments go. Frankly, I've never
felt disadvantaged by 'only' having 8 or 9 rounds in the single
stack magazine, especially with the outstanding accuracy these
pistols are capable of. And remember, its the grip not the barrel
length which makes a pistol easier to conceal. For me, the 239
in an iwb holster is much easier to cover than the 228/229 models.
My other 239, in 357SIG, is heavier I'll admit, but even it rides well
under heavier clothing during the winter months.

MosinM38

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm glad I asked, as it sounds like it's a good bit differant.

I'd like to see one in-person but:rolleyes: Here in Montana I've seen FIVE sigs in the past 2 years in any local gunstore (Of about 5+4 pawnshops I visit). Even our gunshow, last big one there was only 4 sigs at the entire show! (226's and 229's).

I figured it was a little large for it's capacity, but figured it would hlp in the shooting aspect :)

Well, Guess I'll probably start looking for a 229 in 9mm. I've looked at the 228's, but seeing as how bad I sweat, having the slide stainles is a plus.

Thanks for all the help.

P.S. in an attempt :D To stir the bowl even more: How does the 220 .45 compare to the 226? I just was looking at the 4 rounds sitting in front of me(9mm, .357 sig, .40S&W, .45), and that 9mm is looking mitey small......:rolleyes:

MTS840

How does the 220 .45 compare to the 226? I just was looking at the 4 rounds sitting in front of me(9mm, .357 sig, .40S&W, .45), and that 9mm is looking mitey small......

The P220 holds 8 rounds of .45 ACP in the mag.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=6&productid=94

The P226 can be had in 9mm (15 rds), .40 S&W or .357 Sig (12 rds).

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=90

Although the 9mm looks small, it does a pretty good job in real shootings, as long as shot placement is good. Of course, the 9mm, like any other caliber, has had its share of failures to stop a determined aggressor. No matter which caliber you choose, you should expect a "failure to stop." In that case, I want as many rounds on target as I can get.

The P226 is used by police and military forces around the world. The P220 is popular here in the US.

Given a choice between the P220 or the P226, I'd get the P226.

carguychris

To stir the bowl even more: How does the 220 .45 compare to the 226?
The P220's grip feels marginally thinner than the P226, but the gun is otherwise comparable in size and feel. The P239 feels significantly smaller and thinner than either.

AK103K

The only way to know which will feel better in your hand, is to go to a dealer that has all of them available, and get one in YOUR hand. They all feel different.

For the most part, all SIG's, with the exception of the P230/232 and P238, are about the same size, with just minor differences here and there. The P239 really isnt small, and basically the same size as a P229. Its grip is slightly smaller, but especially thinner, and really to thin for my liking. If your going to be carrying a gun of about the same size, why not go with the higher capacity?

As far as the P220 and 226 go, they are the same size, and will use the same holster. The supposedly smaller P6/225 also uses the same holster, as does the P245, which is actually a little smaller than the above, but not by much.

Caliber wise, these days, with the advances in bullet designs, there really isnt a whole lot of difference between any of them. Might as well go for the gun that carries the most ammo.

bamaranger

sigs

Yeah

The 239 has a decidedly different feel, the grip being much shorter, as well as thinner due to single stack. You sure wanna handle and shoot one if you can.
there's no comparison between the 228/229 family.

Regards that, the 229's are nice and the machined/stainless slide is a plus and allows .40 cal, but it is heavier. I've been in the market some time for a P228 because it is lighter than a 229, (due to stamped/pinned slide)but they seem scarce and the ones I've found are priced high (than even normal SIG). Seems like I heard they are no longer imported?? or something like that.

220 vs 226, you're back to single vs double stack feel again. I no longer get in the caliber debates. The 228/226's I've been around have been ultra reliable.
I've fired and been around 228/226's in training and transition courses, and a failure was a very, very rare thing.

pilpens

How does a 239 compare to a 226/P6?
I have a P6 and want a 239 thinking that it is smaller.
I think is smaller than a P6 but may not be worth the difference.

bamaranger

P6=P225

I'm thinking the P6 was the German Police designation for the P225, which was a stamped slide, single stack 9mm. I have never compared a P225 and a P239 side by side. Pretty sure the P6/P225 comes only in 9mm. I have heard the P6's run best w/ ball ammo, the german cop load of the time.

The P239 will have a machined slide and MAY very well be heavier than a P6/P225 because of it. Dimensionally, I believe that the P239 is smaller, but I do not have specs here w/ me.

MosinM38

That's the problem.....I can't find a dealer. Tried everything nearby. Next closest: At least 250 miles.

Lol, anyway, guess I'll go 229 or 220. Whichever comes up for $450 I'll nab.

I doubt I'll see another one, but got my 226 .40 for $461 including 3 magazines and in like new condition (Was police issue, but whoever it was issued to, let it sit in a drawer).