Sig 239 Problem need advice/suggestions

1SOW

I have a standard model DA/SA 9mm 239 that has suddenly become inaccurate -- primarily east-west. I've bragged about this guns accuracy on this forum in the past. I shot it in USPSA for a while and had zero problems.

I haven't shot the gun for a few months, took it to the range and could not get a 7yd group less than 4+/-" (right and left), up and down was still fairly tight. No two shots ever hit close right and left.

Yes, I made sure my grip and trigger pull were correct. Happened in DA and SA. Shot two other guns the same day and had no problem getting 2" groups (or better)with one flyer. My son tried the gun and had the same loose groups left and right.

Info: 4-5K rounds through it
Shooting sub-sonic 124 gr FMJ before and after problem appeared
No change in ammo, distance (7-10yds), or shooter (except older).
After about 1500 rds the slide was really loose--will rattle when shaken
Never a squib or any sign the barrel is in trouble--it won't move around
when in the lugs
Std "dot the I" sights aren't loose
I keep it clean and properly lubed

I just didn't know where to go from here. Nothing obvious seems wrong, it just scatters right and left.
I'd sure appreciate any ideas/experiences you shooters might have.

roadrash

Pull the locking block out of it and examine it for cracks.Check the frame rails for cracks,check muzzle crown for dings,is bore fouled with copper or lead?Have you changed the recoil spring ever?Does the barrel feel like it still locks up tight with the slide?Try different ammo.

Thats all the ideas I have.

1SOW

roadrash

As I said above: The barrel is clean and and the crown looks perfect
When in the locking lugs the bbl won't move at all
I've been using the same ammo since day one: sub-sonic 124gr FMJ with some ocassional Win value pack/white box.
Good thought about cracks: have to dig up a magnifying glass: no eyeball visible cracks on the stainless or aluminum
No, its got the original flat recoil spring. What' the idea here?
Thanks for the ideas.

Last edited: