Sig 232

ChicagoTex

the SIG is sleeker, lighter, and (in my opinion) better looking. I'd wager the trigger is superior to a lot of older PPKs but I can't speak to the new ones being built now (which I would expect/hope have competetive trigger pulls).
The Walther has a manual safety to go with it's decocker, but the SIG's decocker is much easier to access without breaking a proper firing grip.

Really it's a bit of a toss up, I don't own either as my hands are too large not to be slide/hammer bit by both these specimens but if it were me, I'd go the little bit extra (I think it's only $50-$100 more) for the SIG - I just like how it looks and feels.

Of course, the PPK is more apt to make you feel like Bond. James Bond :D

denfoote

The Sig is a step down!!

It's like selling your Lincoln to buy a VW bug!! :p

NewPPKGrips001small.jpg

Shields up.
Charging phasors.

PSP

I own both but carry the Sig.

Sig makes three different models of the P232. The Sig is lighter by a good margin in it's alloy frame form. Both the Walther and Sig lock back on the last round but have no slide release lever. Both have a fixed, fairly accurate barrel. Both take down quickly, although I prefer the Sig method personally. The Sig is the better fit for my hand and I shoot it better than the Walther, but that's me.

As to cost; I paid $335 for my Walther and $315 for the Sig I carry, (I have two others that cost a little more). Both were used but in outstanding condition. They are similar enough in size as to be able to share some holsters. I prefer the regular sights on the Sig and night sights are available on new Sigs (must be factory installed), whereas I don't know if night sights are even available on the Walther.

Both have similar yet different triggers. The Sig is lighter in DA mode at 9.5#, while the Walther feels heavier, at around 14# I'd guess. Both have a light SA trigger at around 4-5#. I never use the safety and prefer not to have one, so here the Sig design suits me better...others may want a safety. Both guns have excellent aftermarket grips available. I use Hogue on the Sig and Pachmayr on the Walther.

Very similar guns and your preference may boil down to which one you like or feels best. Both fine, quality pistols.

Other options for a quality 380 acp are the excellent Beretta 84/85 and the harder to find Sphinx AT380, a very compact, well made, DAO pistol.
SphinxAT380m.jpg

Last edited:

blume357

PSP gave you the information you need.

I bought a Interarms Walther PPK in stainless steel and a Sig 230 in stainless steel at the same time... after trying both at the range the Sig has traveled with me for two years the Walther except for one week in Reno has stayed in the safe....

I'd say the Walther is the VW... and the Sig is a Porshe.

At least in mine... the Sig is slightly heavier and larger.

Spenser

The 232 is in my daily carry rotation, over the PPK and PPK/S.

It doesn't bite my hand quite like the Walther does. The alloy frame is much lighter than the PPK, which helps for pocket carry. One additional round in the mag. It's longer than the ppk, but the weight difference is what makes it more carry-able in my opinion.

The sights are a bit better, I think. The gun's phenomenally accurate for me.

The nod goes to the 232 over a PPk or PPK/S for me.

RsqVet

On the belt I pick the 232 for better ergonomics to my hand.

In the pocket I'd go PPK/s if these are the only 2 choices.

232 can be had with facotry night sites; don't know about current PPK, old ones no.

Interarms made PPK's were knocked but mine was flawless except with CCI ammo.

Early Smith PPK's had some detractors but that seems to have died down as well.

The 232 and it's prior form 230 have always been very reliable in all the forms I have had a chance to shoot.

In my experince any 380 blow back design that is made well will start to malf after 800-1000 rounds --- just too much dirt on / in a small space.

blume357

I always thought the only difference was in the sights... but I'll

defer to above.... with either the 232 or the 230 the Hogue grips are the same, which is what I have on mine. It came with Hogue grips, I've held the same pistols (both 230 and 232) with the factory grips and I would never switch back.

My Interarms PPK shoots flawlessly and is fine.. like I said.. I flew with it to Reno a while back and felt comfortable with it.

I'd say the one substantial difference between the two is a PPK can be carried in a pocket... I think the 232 is just slightly too big for that. I've never held the lighter model, my stainless steel 230 is pretty heavy for a 380, I think. But it fits my hand like a glove.