Sig 229; good deal?

WVfishguy

I was offered a Sig 229 in .40 S&W today for $650, cash. The dealer said I've bought so many guns off him, he'd make me a deal.

I think this is a good deal, but I've never owned a Sig. It is NOT a two tone, has two mags with it, no box or papers. Full size gun. It has a tiny bit of wear on the outside, the inside is immaculate.

I'm not very familiar with Sigs, but every firearms instructor/Special Forces/Ranger et. al. I've known used a Sig, so I figure they're pretty good :p

Does anyone else think $650 is a good deal? I've heard some folks say Sigs are overpriced. Most of my other semi-autos are polymer, so the Sig seems heavy, which may be an advantage in a .40.

bamiller

I am also looking at a p229. The best price I found was 754 new (including shipping) for one with night sights. If the dealer will sell the same for $650 ask him if he'll sell me one at that price also.

Uncle Malice

if this is brand new, it's an excellent deal and you should jump on it. The P229 is my favorite Sig. With the .40 cal version you can simply drop in a replacement factory 357sig barrel and shoot both calibers. Bar-Sto makes a conversion barrel to allow you to shoot 9mm out of it.

My suggestion: GET IT QUICK! and enjoy it. :)

firespectrum

About what I paid for mine with a big group discount. Whenever I tell gun people what I paid for it jaws start dropping in disbelief. I love it and I used the money I saved for grips and a holster. I would go for it.

WVfishguy

bamiller; I am also looking at a p229. The best price I found was 754 new (including shipping) for one with night sights. If the dealer will sell the same for $650 ask him if he'll sell me one at that price also.
I've spent thousands in that shop over the years, so I get a deal once in a while. Anyone else wanting that gun had better cough up about $760.

wgsigs

Edit: I was under the impression that the gun you are buying is USED since no box, papers, but outside wear.

My answer is it depends. A friend sold his P229 .40 w/night sights back to the dealer he bought it new from (for $800 not quite a year ago) for $700 with case, manual, and 2 mags. Obviously the dealer will mark it up to resell so $650 looks like a great deal.

However, I am buying an older (over 10 years old with less than 500 rounds through it) P229 with no case, no manual (more like yours?), no night sights, and 4 mags for $550 shipped and including FFL xfer fee from someone on SIGforums. Now your deal doesn't look as good to me, unless your gun has night sights. I haven't seen my gun in person yet so buying from a dealer and having some recourse after the sale may be worth the additional $100.

Last edited:

Bauer

Luckily I bought mine off family. Never fired when I bought it for $400. Also came with a .357sig barrel.

oldandslow

bamiller, 1/22/10

Take a look about 2/3rds down on the left at the summitgunbroker site, it lists Sig 229 CPO's. Realize that these are not new guns, but usually guns that have been returned to Sig (eg- police trade-ins) which Sig then refurbishes and sells. Usually they are a great deal and come with a factory warranty. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

wgsigs

It appears to me from their responses that most posters think the OP is talking about a NEW P229. I guess WVfishguy needs to clarify.

BTW I found the P229 CPO on the Summit Gun Broker website to be $545, but I couldn't find any P229 listed for $799 - all of the new ones were $825-$875. :confused:

Kiawah

Just as another reference point, bought my .40 NIB P229R w/night sites, also including a new Sig Sauer .357 barrel, box, mags, papers, etc for 825 (about 6 months ago). Added 25 for shipping, and 30 FFL xfer, so my in my hands price was 880. Since I wanted both barrels, seemed like a pretty reasonable deal.

Last edited:

lambertsteeth

IMHO, you got a very fair deal, considering you bought it from a dealer. That is about what you could expect to pay person to person. I assume the gun is not dao. You will love the 229. I've got one, and it's great. Sig is known world wide for their quality. They are more expensive, but not overpriced. Quality costs more. Congrats!
I'm currently looking for a 22 conversion for my 229. With the price of ammo, the conversion will pay for itself.