Sig 226 vs Beretta 92?

Dragline45

Every time I buy a new handgun it is always for concealed carry, so I am looking for a high capacity home defense handgun in 9mm. I have shot both the Beretta 92 and the Sig 226 and although I slightly prefer the Sig, I just don't know if I can justify the extra $200-300.

So here is where you guys come in. Convince me one way or the other by telling me what you like or don't like about each pistol.

10-96

Just another $.02 question...
Which one would come closest to or be most similar to your EDC? What I mean is- you wouldn't want to be thinking you're sweeping a safety off and actually sweeping it on or de-cocking if the differences between your pistol options would allow for such. Common familiarity between firearms is a good thing.

dsk

Having owned both, I have to say they essentially accomplish the same thing. Both are uber-reliable, both are a bit on the large side for EDC, and both have their fanboys. Choose which ever fits your hand the best, or else simply decide if you want a combination decock/safety or just a plain decocker.

Darmok

I own a Beretta 92A1, and seriously considered a Sig P226 instead of the Beretta when I was shopping. I would have opted for the Sig if I could have found one of the variety I was looking for (a Platinum Elite). The Beretta is just so damned big for a 9mm.

They're both great, reliable guns though. Like dsk suggested, get whichever feels better in your hand, or which one shoots better for you, if you're able to try them out on a range.

Or better yet, buy a Browning Hi-Power instead. :D

Single Six

I've had the trigger return spring on my department-issue Sig P220 break in half while in use. TWICE. :mad: Not good; when that happens, the gun will not fire. It's also recently happened to another officer at my department. I presume the P226 has the same type of recalcitrant part in it. Now, when it comes to DA pull and feed reliability, Sigs are fantastic. But having a function-critical part snap in half, thereby rendering the gun totally useless, is unacceptable to me...especially if it happens more than once. Bottom line for me is, I wouldn't have a Sig in my collection even if somebody gave it to me. Between the two given options, I'd go with the Beretta.

dsk

Actually, the trigger return springs in Berettas have been known to fail as well. Wolff sells a modified component to replace it.

Single Six

Point taken. However, I can only speak from my personal experience. Having owned a Beretta, it never had any failures with me. Can't say likewise for Sig.

TunnelRat

Having owned a SIG, I've never had a trigger return spring snap after thousands of rounds down range. Add that's with a P226, P220, and a P229.

chadio

like:

-runs like a swiss watch
-runs like a sewing machine
-like the simple take-down
-if I were to design a handgun, the controls would be exactly like this pistol
-runs like a German pistol because it is one

dislike:

-it is not an attractive pistol
-I cannot shoot tight groups like I can with a 1911

92fs

like:

-fits my hand like it was made just for me
-"N.I.B." Italian version can be purchased for under six ben franklins
-controls feel like a very meticulous machinist fine-tuned it
-sexy looking

dislike:

-don't own one yet... I HATE that :D
-control placement isn't my idea of " just right"

WVsig

No need to pay more than $600 for a good used German Sig. I would take a older CPO over a new one.

Summit gun brokers has CPO German. $555

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/226_German.html

I prefer the P226. Nothing wrong with the 92FS it just does not fit me. I have shot them and like them but not enough to put one in the safe. I am not a fan of the decocker/safety design when it does not allow one to carry cocked and locked. So I think the Sig design is less complicated to operate. Both are big combat sized/duty type guns.

In the end I am a Sig gun.... :eek: In the end you have to pick the one that fits you best. Have you shot them? If you can run a few hundred rounds down the pipe of each back to back I think one will choose you more than you will choose it. LOL I often find that is the only way to really choose between two great designs like the P266 and the 92FS.

As far as trigger return springs breaking I do not doubt that it happens but I have owned 12+ Sigs and have thousands upon thousands of rounds down the pipe on most of mine and have never had a trigger return spring break. What vintage were the P220s which suffered these failures?

iamdb

To throw a wrench in your game plan, have you looked at a CZ75 or a quality clone? I find them to fit my hands better than the 2 guns you mentioned, and result in better accuracy for me. Your results may vary.

triplebike

Both are equally reputable, reliable, accurate, flawlessly designed handguns. I believe the only edge would be the Beretta's looks.

All things being equal, you will be a better shot & have more fun with the Beretta, since for the same amount of investment the Beretta comes with 1000rds, while the Sig comes with zero rds.

ps - both of my 92FS's have well over 10,000 rds each. Not one malfunction or failure of any kind. All original parts

Single Six

TunnelRat: Glad your experience with Sig does not match that of myself, or my co-worker. However, that doesn't mean that the spring failure I described can't happen. It can, and, as I stated previously, has occurred to me on two separate occasions. On the other hand, I suppose that anything man-made can break. I'm sure that someone out there has had a negative experience with my preferred brand of handgun, but I've yet to see it happen. To be fair, I guess that one can only go by their own experiences.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

TunnelRat: Glad your experience with Sig does not match that of myself, or my co-worker. However, that doesn't mean that the spring failure I described can't happen. It can, and, as I stated previously, has occurred to me on two separate occasions. On the other hand, I suppose that anything man-made can break. I'm sure that someone out there has had a negative experience with my preferred brand of handgun, but I've yet to see it happen. To be fair, I guess that one can only go by their own experiences.

I believe you. However you posted your experience. I am well within my rights to post mine, as is everyone else. The more data points the better.

WVsig

Still would love to know what vintage these where. I have not heard of these parts breaking before. I wonder if these guns could have been detailed stripped and then had them installed incorrectly.