Sig 226 owners chime in-grip question

packa45

Ok so I have a Blackwater Sig P226. It's a sweet gun but I have an issue. The Blackwater model comes with two sets of grips. The wood set and the standard plastic 226 grips. The wood grips are great and while they look nice and add quite a bit of thickness I like to use the standard 226 grips just because they fit my hand better and it preserves the Blackwater logo grips. My issue is that on the backstrap portion they have a give when I grip it tight. It doesn't affect my shooting but it just has a strange loose feel to it and is annoying. Are my stock 226 grips defective or is this a common thing? If it's common than how can I fix it cause I would prefer a nice solid feeling when I grip my one and only Sig baby.

Icopy1

My SIG 226 NAVY has the same issue. Your grips are fine. If it really bothers you, send them into SIG for a replacement.

AK103K

All the factory plastic grips seem to have that "give" your talking about. Most all of my SIG's did. The way I fixed them, was to take some double sided tape and put it on the back seam of the grips and trim it. Problem seems to have been solved, no more annoying "give".

packa45

Thanks I might give that a try. Icopy1, but if that's the way the grips are designed how would sending it in help?

BigJimP

My 226's are a couple of years old and I haven't noticed any give to them - so maybe its something recent. The tape fix will work / but I think I'd talk to Sig rather than just accept it.

AK103K

Its been an issue for awhile now. I have older, pre railed guns that also had the issue.

If they would put a couple of the little male/female nubs on them along the seam, like the old plastic models used to have, it would solve the problem.

The tape (I used double sided carpet tape) does work well, and seems to eliminate the problem, but it is a PITA to have to do it at all.

If you get a replacement set from SIG, I dont think the problem will be solved, unless the make, or have made some changes.

☼SIG☼

I have a brand-new 2008 P226R in front of me... zero give with the stock factory grips.

I have heard some instances where SIG does not install enough or no washers around the grip screws, which may cause the play in the handle you've experienced. If it bugs you, call SIG.

packa45

I have heard some instances where SIG does not install enough or no washers around the grip screws, which may cause the play in the handle you've experienced. If it bugs you, call SIG.

Well I don't have any washers with the grip screws but none came with it. I don't know how that would help this though. The only play in the grips is the back strap area. It gives a little because there is no support there. Like AK103K said some nubs in there for support would fix it. It's not a major issue just a little annoying. I just wanted to make sure it was a larger issue and not just mine. I may call Sig about it.

Icopy1

Why send it back to Sig? Sometimes the manufacturing differences between a set of grips could be enough to solve the wobble. Or not.