Sig 226 help

kst8fan

Needing sum help on the Sig 226 in 9mm. Really like the looks and feel of the gun but it is really expensive. For all of you that own them, are they really worth the $850-$900 price tag? Also wondering what the difference is between the standard 226 and the Navy model other that the nitron coating. Let me know any info you can about these guns. If Im gonna spend $900 plus on a gun, I want to know all about them good or bad. Thanks

Seven High

I would look around for a CPO or used 226. You should be able to find one for around $500-600. I would not spend $800-900 for a new 226.

Chris_B

No idea about the details of the Navy

But I think my Sig P226 was worth the 800 bucks I paid. Used. Pistol looked new but was over 20 years old, and was pre-ban, which is a big deal where I live.

Mine is in 9mm, which in my opinion is a great caliber for the P226, it's accurate, it's easy to field strip, and it's very reliable. Plus it's one handsome pistol

Downside is springs on some older ones, and the double roll pins (slide). Some grips won't work well with older P226s because of spring placement, and the double roll pins need to be replaced periodically

chadstrickland

Yes they are awesome. I got rapped on my sig because it cost me right at 1100 bucks from the local gun store :( mine is the tac ops edition. But it was worth every penny. They are very accurate and mine has not had a failure to fire or failure to feed yet. They are easy to take apart and clean.

Just for what ever reason unknown to mankind...do not shoot a sim round down the barrel. I projectile vomited all over my lathe every time I hit the screw driver to knock the plastic piece out :( ( note I didn't vomit but I wanted to ) I payed a little over 200 bucks for that blond moment :(

tjhands

I would certainly NOT even consider buying anything brand new from SIG these days. The P226 used to be a good gun, and I'd not hesitate buying one older than 7 or 8 years old.

Anyine who says that SIGs quality control hasn't sunk to all-time lows either hasn't done a lick of research or is too blind by their love for the name to acknowledge the truth.

Don't buy one.

If you're set on a non-polymer, higher-capacity 9mm, you'd be sooooo much better off buying a CZ-75. Look it up, research it, scrutinize it. That's what any buyer ought to do.

NJgunowner

You can whine about sig quality all you want, but if you don't have one then I'll take your comments with a grain of salt. Mine was made in 2009 and has NEVER failed. It goes bang every time and I've never had anything that would make me doubt it. The quality is excellent.

tjhands

You can whine about sig quality all you want, but if you don't have one then I'll take your comments with a grain of salt.

Oh, sorry; I've had four SIGs. One of them worked acceptably, meaning it ate what I fed it. That gun was an old, beat-to-hell P226.

10mm4ever

Find an older, lightly used w.german 226 for about 1/2 the price. You'll have the better gun. Exeter has gone insane with their pricing.

patinmo

I bought a 226 back in April of this year. I was very happy with the fit and function of the gun, Never felt I had a lesser quality gun. I had the nitron with night sights paid $820.00.

capitan-d

The navy model includes 3 mags and has internals that are coated with something to protect it from salt water corrosion. (That's what I was told anyway, may want to check with Sig to verify) My Exeter 226 is excellent, I have nothing but praise. $850-$900 is way high though.

Just an example...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=247943155

For additional mags I would suggest 18 round mec-gar mags from cdnn.

BigJimP

yes, Sigs are worth the extra money in my opinion...

I have a pair of 226's in all stainless one in 9mm and one in .40 ...both very strong guns / never a whimper out of eitiher one of them. They run great - look good.

Taking a Sig 226 down to a bare frame - will tell you there is quality in all of the internals ...springs, hammer, firing pin, etc ...fit and finish is great - and there is really nothing not to like.

Now ....does the 226 fit your hands / do you like the SRT trigger or the typical DA/SA or the DAK trigger - you have to evaluate them. I like the DA/SA triggers ( but 1911's are my primary go to guns ) ...and they are no 1911 triggers.../ but what fits me, may not fit you....

I also have a pair of 239's - one in 9mm and one in .40 ...and a Sig X-Five race gun ...and they've all been solid guns as well. Sigs are my favorite gun in the DA/SA guns on the market ...( and all my Sigs were made in the last 5 - 10 yrs / and I don't see a drop off in quality in the ones made in the last 5 yrs).

Patriot86

Go shoot a Glock, or an XD(m) or a Beretta 92 then go shoot a P226 and judge for yourself. IMO SIG is probably the best 9mm and .40 S&W platform out there for a SA/DA pistol for HD or Open Carry. CC or Duty Carry you might have an argument that their are better platforms.

kst8fan

So for the most part, Im hearing that sigs are very accurate, reliable quality made guns. They were recommended to me about a year ago but I just couldn't see paying $800 or more for a handgun. The more I do research on them, everyone that shoots them, with a few exceptions, says they are very well made guns. More than likely I will be buying new because I can't find any used ones in my area. I see the CZ-75 mentioned a lot. How does it compare to the sig 226?

Last edited:

Harry Callahan

Like was said earlier, look in to a Certified Pre-Owned P226. I bought one a few years ago for a little over $500. It is the .40 model and they also threw in a .357 Sig barrel as part of the deal. I think I did alright:D.

WVsig

The P226 is a great gun. It is durable an reliable. I perfer the older carbon steel slides but the current production stainless steel ones are still very good. All that said IMHO they are way over priced. They are not $800+ good.

You need to get yourself a good transfer dealer. If you find one then you can get yourself a used Sig for $500 + Shipping + Transfer. For me that would be about $535.

Look at this deal $500 with 6 mags and a holster and mag pouch. W. German gun to boot.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4712375#post4712375

The CZ75 B is a great gun to. For me its length of pull in the DA mode is too long. It can be carried cocked and locked or DA/SA but there is no decocker. The trigger is not as good as the SIg IMHO because of the camming action found in all CZs. They are also harder to work on than a Sig. Detail stripping a CZ is more complicated than a Sig. The CZ is the hands down winner as far as price. They are $500 guns in most areas.

postmaster

IMHO they are way over priced. They are not $800+ good.

That's the about opinions. We all have them. I bought a new Sig 2269mm with an added .conversion kit for $950. I love it in both calibers. I also own, a Glock 26, and a ppk. I like the Sig best. It just feels like a real pistol, and function is perfect. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

WVsig

I bought a new Sig 2269mm with an added .conversion kit for $950...

It is your money and it sound like you are happy so I will not argue with your choice.

For me it's not that they are not good guns it is that they can be had LNIB everywhere for under $600. Why on earth would I want to pay $800+ for NIB which has more MIM and worse quality control?

Again they are still good guns but the ones out of Exter today are not the same as the ones assembled there 5 years ago and are not as good as the ones made in Germany. IMHO YMMV

Last edited:

Flakbait

I find SIGs to be extremely accurate. I can shoot a whole magazine of my 226 9mm into one large ragged hole at less than 10 yards. Perhaps it has something to do with how the barrel locks up with the slide very tightly or how well the trigger is crisp.

On the other hand, my S&W MP 40 with its spongy trigger/striker system is a scattergun by comparison. My groups are nowhere near as tight. Both are adequate for normal self defence purposes (under 7 yards) but I would trust the SIG for long distance target shooting.

Peter Weber

I guess I can talk about Sig quality. I own (2) Sig P220's, a P226, a P230, and the brand new P290 with the laser. No ... they're not on a par with my 1911's (4). but, I'd gladly trade my HK USP Compact in .40 for a Sig any day. (Any offers?)

I like the old school German Sigs a bit more, but I have no problems buying a new Exeter gun.