Sig 220 or 226

KMAX

If you could have only one of these two which would it be? What is the difference other than caliber and magazine capacity? If you were to choose the 45 would you opt for the 227 and why or why not? I have pretty much decided I "need" one of the afore mentioned pistols, but can only "justify" one at this point. My wife gave me the money and said go get one. I have a Hi Power in 9mm and a 1911 in 45acp already, so it will not be a new caliber for me. I currently do not have a DA/SA in either caliber. 40 cal. is out of the question here. I've got that covered to my satisfaction. What say?

Dragline45

The P226 feels better to me. The grip on the P220 feels reeeeeally narrow.

I am the other way around. While the 226 feels fine in my hand, the 220 feels better. Single stack pistols fit my hand better than most double stacks.

southjk

I had the same choice to make but ultimately went with the 226 in 9mm. I still want a 220 and will get one at some point but I love my 226. I wanted it for a bedside gun and the capacity is what swayed me. I will get a stainless 220 though. This is my vow. It will be mine. :D

chris in va

I had a 220 for a few years and just didn't care for the narrow grip angle and da/sa transition. I would have to go with a 227 which is supposedly fatter like the 226.

HKFan9

Why not the P227? Feels about the same as the P226 but its a .45ACP like the P220? Takes the same holsters as the P226 as well. Seems like you already had the answer for your question. I am a 1911 fan myself, I like Sigs but I sold all mine off.

DW .45

You already have the best .45 (1911). Why not get one of the best 9mm in the P226? It is Sigs signature gun after all. I own a P227 and for whatever reason I just can't shoot the gun well. On the other hand I haven shot any other 9 as well as the P226.

Doc Intrepid

+1

My 220 is a tack driver.

Its become my carry gun.

I'd say let your decision follow function - what do you want the gun FOR?

People who are passionate about their 226 may use it for anything. But for resolving interpersonal disputes at arms length, I'd rather be shooting .45s.

It comes down to which one fits your needs better.

ejfalvo

I have a few 220s, the one with the Houge grip fits great, the others, a little too slim. My 227 grip felt OK. Once I put a Hogue sleeve on it, huge difference. While the 227 feels good, the 220 with the Houge feels great.

trigger643

Caliber difference on the P220?

Here are a couple of my P220s, both W.German guns. The one on the top is 9mm.

I am coming to prefer my new P227 over the P220 .45acp. And since I don't have to choose between the P226 and P220... I won't.

kcub

Have you checked out the P229 (or older P228)? Just slightly smaller (a la commander) than the fullsize 229/220/227. You might want to at least handle one to see if it fits your hand better or you like its balance better.

Available in .357 Sig, .40, and 9mm. I would suggest .357 Sig as I consider it the best caliber and maybe get a .40 OEM barrel for ammo availability.

Just another great Sig Sauer option to consider.

AK103K

These days, Id ask which one I could afford to shoot and practice with the most.

The differences in caliber performance these days isnt worth the arguing over which is better, and the one that is easiest to shoot with, and offers the highest capacity, seems to me to be a no brainer.

The physical differences between the 220 and 226 are pretty much nil. Ive owned a number of both, and even carried both in the same holsters (they are just that close). About the only difference between them is how they feel in your hand.

You cant go wrong with either, but I found the 226 was just that much better in how it felt in my hand, and how well I shot with it. Mine were in 357SIG, but if I were to go back to using SIG's, the choice would be between a 226 or a 250, either in 9mm.

dgludwig

I have both models but the one I carry concealed is the 220. The only reason the 220 goes along for the ride instead of the 226 is the single-stack magazine. I much prefer a thinner grip when I'm carrying a pistol in an iwb holster.

Chris_B

My Sig P226 in 9mm feels similar to my Pop's FEG Hi Powers. And if you ask me, feeling like a BHP ain't a bad thing

SHE3PDOG

I'd opt for the p220 over the p227 and the p227 over the p226. I like the p220's trigger better than the other two, and the p226 and p227 are about even in my book with the nod being given to the 227 simply because I feel that design shines brightest in 45. Certainly nothing wrong with any of the choices though, and if you are looking for a 9mm, the p226 is a fantastic one.