Sig 220 8 round mags reliable?

FREE SPEECH

I was looking to buy a few Sig 220 8 round mags and was wondering if they are as reliable as the 7 round mags. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with the 8 round mags?

AEM

I'm bubbling this up to the top because I want the same info. I have a bunch of 7 round mags and have been thinking of buying the 8 round followers and springs to convert them from 7 to 8 rounds. Any info on how the 8 round mags work would be appreciated.

zentao

I bought 8 rd SIG factory mags from CDNN and they work fine with PMC and Winchester FMJ 230 gr and with Federal HS 230 gr and PD 165 gr. I also bought 10 rd Promag mag and it is really bad.

jwong

Hmmm... I do believe that the original 8 rnd. Sig mags just had a cut down follower to allow the eighth round. Can anyone confirm this? Are there now (or where there) different springs from Sig for a 7 rnd. vs. an 8 rnd. magazine? If not, then the 8 rnd. magazine is probably over stressing the 7 rnd. mag spring, which would lead to shorter life, and more misfeeds... However, if a redesigned spring was made (not just the 7 rnd. spring with a coil cut off, that doesn't really solve the problem) then the 8 rnd. mag should probably work well...

legion

The new SIG-Sauer factory mags (stainless steel, extended baseplate) are absolutely wonderful. The small baseplate extension makes the pistol feel much better for those with large hands.
Unfortunately, they are tickling $40.00+ around me and a liitle tough to find.
Fortunately, they're worth every penny.
BTW - some bullet designs don't fit in the mag. The only one I've found that dosen't is the older (1994 manufacture) 185 grain +P Cor-Bons, but there may be more. A less sharp-shouldered bullet design like the 230 grain SXT works flawlessly. Hope this helps.

AEM

Thanks for your input.

I was interested to read that the new factory mags have a small extension on the baseplate. The mags I have are plain bottom and actually fit flush with, or a little deeper than, the bottom of the grips. If you don't deliberately push through that last bit of resistance, they won't lock into place. I've been been thinking of installing the rubber pads on the base. The only trouble is that I have about eight factory mags that need the 8-round conversion and bump pads. It adds up!