Sig 1911 .22lr anyone tried one?

Noreaster

Nice looking full size 1911 in .22lr. Does anyone have one. Any experience with them good or bad? Cabelas flyer has a decent deal going and I'd like to hear about them before laying out the $.

Ridge_Runner_5

It's a rebranded GSG-1911 gun.

Mine was fun, enjoyed it. Had to sell it to pay some unexpected bills. Would likely buy one again.

glockand1911.jpg

Sevens

Yep, my buddy has one and I've shot it a lot. It's 100% GSG but with a Sig name and Sig marked grip panels on it. It's a quality handgun but unless you especially like the grips, you might find it a bit cheaper if you simply get the GSG version of it.

I think it's a fine gun... they put a lot of weight in the magazines, so they seem to be a little clunky. I'd yank the mag-disconnect safety out of it, which would be easy since I'd replace that arched MSH for a flat one.

Good gun. The Sig grips are pretty, but not worth a premium if the pistol costs more than the GSG.

Dino.

Good gun. The Sig grips are pretty, but not worth a premium if the pistol costs more than the GSG.

I have the Sig in Olive Drab finish with "U.S." walnut grips.
The GSG was $20 less expensive, but I really liked the OD finish on the Sig (not offered on the GSG) and the nicer grips. It probably would have cost me more than $20 alone just to replace the grips on the GSG so, for me, it just made sense to go with the Sig. ;)

MemphisJim

The difference at retail in these parts is more like $40. Plus GSG stamped mags are under $20 around here while the Sig stamped ones are $40+. With those kinds of differences I personally would go the GSG route. The only versions I've shot, though, are the Sig-labeled ones...and they are sweet.

Noreaster

Thanks for the replys. I'm going with the Sig just because of a gift certificate I won. I'll let you know how mine shoots when I get one.

Dino.

Here's a pic of my Sig.
When I first brought it home, I broke it down to clean it and discovered that Sig/GSG had upgraded the guide rod, spring, guide rod plug, and replaced the alloy barrel bushing with one made of steel. I had about a week to wait for my paperwork to come back, so I ordered a stainless guide rod during that time and later installed it just for peace of mind. ;)

I'm loving this gun! :)

DSC04972.jpg

KC Rob

I am in the market for one of these too. I think I would prefer the SIG version, but I have seen a GSG model with a threaded barrel at my LGS, not sure if SIG offers that option. I am in the process of getting a .22 suppressor and want to be able to switch it back and forth between my 10/22 and .22 1911. Anybody know if SIG makes a version with a threaded barrel, I couldn't find it on their website.

Dino.

I am in the market for one of these too. I think I would prefer the SIG version, but I have seen a GSG model with a threaded barrel at my LGS, not sure if SIG offers that option. I am in the process of getting a .22 suppressor and want to be able to switch it back and forth between my 10/22 and .22 1911. Anybody know if SIG makes a version with a threaded barrel, I couldn't find it on their website.

The Sigs all have the threaded barrel.
They're made by GSG so they are identical.
The only difference is that Sig offers different finish options and walnut grips.

I bought a threaded barrel adapter for the Sig, I just haven't installed it.
I have a Colt/Umarex M4 and a P22 with threaded barrel adapters too.
I've wanted to get a suppressor for some time now, but with the tax stamp and all, it's a bit pricey.
I now have three guns that would benefit, so I think I'm just going to have to "bite the bullet" and do it! ;)

Last edited:

KC Rob

OK, I guess I am a little confused. The SIG pictured above doesn't have a threaded barrel, does it? The GSG I saw in the LGS had a faux silencer on it, not that I want that, but it definitely had a threaded barrel.

**Edit** Just watched a YouTube review of the pistol, I see the threaded barrel now! Awesome, I will definitely get the SIG version (I know the GSG is the same gun and cheaper, blah blah blah, I want mine to say SIG, I am shallow like that).**Edit**

Last edited:

Dino.

Just watched a YouTube review of the pistol, I see the threaded barrel now! Awesome, I will definitely get the SIG version (I know the GSG is the same gun and cheaper, blah blah blah, I want mine to say SIG, I am shallow like that)

Hahaha ... I chose the Sig because I liked the OD finish and the U.S. grips.
I have a Springfield GI 1911 with those same grips and I think they look pretty sharp.

You might want to consider bringing a magnet with you to see if the barrel bushing is steel.
This will tell you if this pistol you're looking at has been upgraded with the new parts.

Which suppressor are you getting?
I guess I should start doing my homework on them.
Any recommendations? :)

Last edited:

Dino.

Yeah my GSG came with a threaded barrel and a tool to remove the thread protector.

You'll need to purchase the adapter if you want to use a "real" can.
The fake cans that I've seen have an extension on them that allows you to attach it without the adapter, but if you ever want to get the real deal, you'll need the adapter. ;)

KC Rob

Hahaha ... I chose the Sig because I liked the OD finish and the U.S. grips.
I have a Springfield GI 1911 with those same grips and I think they look pretty sharp.

Yeah, I have a Springer with the US grips too. I am leaning towards the Flat Dark Earth finish, not sure. Another reason I want the SIG is because if I have warranty issues I want to call SIG, not ATI. Also, not a fan of the GSG logo either.

Dino.

Another reason I want the SIG is because if I have warranty issues I want to call SIG, not ATI. Also, not a fan of the GSG logo either.

Good point.
I do think that the fact that it's made by GSG is an advantage in that it increases the availability of parts and accessories. But even more of an advantage is that 80% of the parts that make up the Sig/GSG are interchangeable with standard 1911 parts.

I had both my Sig and my Springer broke down and was comparing parts.
They really did an amazing job in staying true to design, IMO. :)

Dnite91

a friend of a friend has one and had the guide rod break on him. no big deal though we just machined a new rod on a lathe. he says it shoots and operates fine.

Dino.

a friend of a friend has one and had the guide rod break on him. no big deal though we just machined a new rod on a lathe. he says it shoots and operates fine.

Yeah, there were reports of guide rods breaking on the early models.
I'm in Maryland, so i had to wait a couple weeks before I could actually pick up the gun. While I was waiting, I ordered a stainless guide rod from ATI.

When I finally brought the gun home, I broke it down to clean it and found that they upgraded the guide rod, spring, guide rod bushing, and the barrel bushing was now made of steel instead of "alloy".

I still installed the stainless guide rod though.
I looks to be a little longer, and I thought it may help improve reliability.
Besides, I had already bought it, so ... :D

Dnite91

The gun overall aside from that problem looked and performed better then i expected. I have not kept up on them though but if they have started making them with a better guide rod then you cant go wrong with the gun in my opinion.

Noreaster

Finally got to the range with my new Sig 1911 .22lr. The gun is accurate and functioned flawlessly with quality ammo, (CCI mini mag and Remington Golden, not great with wally world bulk ammo.) I found the left side safety to be a little to big.

The only problem I had was replacing the front sight, (it comes with three for different elevation.) I found the sight that worked the best for me and when I tighten it down it cants to the left. Poor sight picture with a uneven sight. Still trying to figure out what to do with it.

Overall I'm very happy with the gun. It looks, feels and functions great.