Sierra web site - says "Shop Discontinued"

BobCat45

Went to https://www.sierrabullets.com/

Across the middle of the page it says "Shop Discontinued".

Clicking around the different parts of the website it looks like they still sell apparel and other things, but no bullets. All bullets marked "discontinued".

If anyone has any actual information about what is going on, I'd be happy to read it. Thanks in advance.

ghbucky

I think what that means is that they are giving you a shortcut to shop for discontinued bullets. Not that the shop is itself discontinued.

Seems very poorly worded to me, but I don't think they are shutting down. There is a 12/31 update about new bullet lines coming.

BobCat45

You are absolutely correct and I'm glad to be alone so nobody can see how red my face is.

All the bullets that were marked "Discontinued" are under that. When I go to "Products" -> Rifle Bullets and so forth, the bullets are there.

Thanks again and I apologize for jumping to a dismal conclusion.

All the .224 Matchking bullets are marked "Sold Out" but Not "discontinued.

I am a little surprised to see the 30 cal 180-grain MatchKing biting the dust. It was a competition mainstay for decades. Today, though, it just can't keep up on BC with newer designs.

Bart B.

I am a little surprised to see the 30 cal 180-grain MatchKing biting the dust. It was a competition mainstay for decades. Today, though, it just can't keep up on BC with newer designs.
Sierra's original 30 caliber 180 grain HPMK's had the same long boattail as heavier ones. For some reason in the 1980's they switched to the same short boattail as the 168 used. That lowered their ballistic coefficient and often went subsonic before 1000 yards with the same load. I'm speaking from experience.

The US military teams tried them rebulleting M118 match ammo and got the same problem. The Army or Marine team let a special contract with Sierra to make several thousand original 180 HPMK's that was a favorite for mid and long range.

Last edited:

Nick_C_S

. . . how red my face is.

For what it's worth, when I clicked the link you gave and saw "Shop Discontinued," my initial sub-conscience inference was that the shop itself was discontinued too.

Yes, poorly worded.

BobCat45

Thanks! The red is fading but the lesson remains; jumping to conclusions on the basis of scant evidence is poor exercise.

The sky has been alleged to be falling loud and long enough that one raindrop on my head was enough to convince me that the sky was, indeed, falling.

Glad its not.