Sierra Reloading Manual

Big Yac

could someone with a new Sierra Reloading manual give me the powder range of a 180gr Matchking in a 30-06 using IMR 4895? I have an older manual and the charge weight I have been using seems to be under the minimum charge compared to what the IMR website says for a Sierra SPBT(whch isnt the Matchking). The load works great and is very accurate but should I be worried about this? Never had any bad signs with this load like hard extraction, flattened primers, or bullets not making it down the barrel and the local gun shop doesnt have the newest Sierra manual in at the moment, its on order. Thanks.

mehavey

180SMK/IMR4895/42.0gr(2400fps)--46.2gr(2600fps)/OAL=3.305"

charge weight I have been using seems to be under the minimum charge compared to what the IMR website says for a Sierra SPBT(whch isnt the Matchking).

Don't worry about it. (Sierra lumps all the 175's-180's together)
That starting 42gr load is a plinker 35,000psi (if 180s are ever to be plinkers) but only a 75% case fill. It's the case fill (and likely ignition variations from powder position) that's driving the lower limit, not pressure or anything related to it. If whatever load you're using close to that works, shoot it and enjoy. (In fact Nosler's starting load is 41gr)

Last edited:

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
MOST of the time, the lowest loads listed in a manual are STARTING points, not "minimums".

Yes, some powders can not be safely reduced more than about 10% below max loads and you can also run into trouble with EXTREME reduced loads (about 65% or less case capacity) under certain circumstances.

Mostly though, running a bit under the starting loads is perfectly safe and it's not unusual to see starting loads listed in one source be much lower than another source.

IMR4895 is not a powder that should be reduced to extremes but if you're using published data from a reputable source (even an old one), you should be fine.

Big Yac

I do appreciate the responses, my load with the 180gr SMK and IMR 4895 is 44 gr, very very accurate load. According to the old and apparently the new Sierra manual 44gr seems to be a middle of the road load. I tried 45 and 46gr but 44 was by far the most accurate. I wondered because the Hogdon website has loads for Hogdon powder, IMR powder, and Winchester powder, and says 45gr is the starting point and 48 the max for the 180gr Sierra with IMR 4895. Why the difference? Thanks again.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Big Yac said:
Why the difference?

Most simply put, the differences result from... differences. ;)

Different lots of powder, different test barrels, primers, cases....

Same as why we start low and work up, because our gun is not their gun nor our powder theirs.

Kevin Rohrer

Has Sierra released a new manual? I have is so old there are no loads for the .204R in it, but it's the most recent one I can find.

243fanatic

sierras reloading hotline 1(800)-223-8799. if your manuel does not have the 204 ruger data (paul box) will hook u up with an email of the info and a pic of the pages from the new manual. just tell him (woodpecker) sent ya. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND ALL THE FIRINGLINE FOLKS AND THERE FAMILIES!!!!!!!!!!!:D