Sierra Bullet Co. Tour

Uncle Buck

Yesterday, We went down to Sedalia MO to purchase "Seconds" from the Sierra factory outlet store. We arrived early and asked if we could have a tour of the factory. The smiling lady said "Certainly, just sign in and someone will be with you very shortly."

Phillip came out and greeted us, then asked us to follow him. We started in the back of the factory and watched a gentleman put 80 pounds of lead in to the extruding machine. In about three minutes, that lead is extruded in to lead wire, which is used for the core of their bullets. They use, I believe, six types of lead in their cores.

The wire is then sent to an annealing machine, were it is unrolled, annealed and then put back on the large rolls.

They have these long, flat rolls of copper plate. The copper is sent through a stamping mill and a cup is punched out. (I messed up and picked up a cup to ask a question. The cup could no longer be used, because it had my finger prints on it! Quality Control [QC] Step #1)

The cups, if they pass QC, are then sent to another machine to be drawn out in to copper tubes. The machines are louder than standing next to a freight train. The dies, which are all made in house, draw out the cups to tubes four at a time. QC again, then sent on to an assembly machine.

The assembly machine is a fascinating piece of equipment! It takes each cup, sends it through a lathe and cuts it to the required length. Then the cup is sent to another part of the machine, where it is placed open side up and the lead wire is installed. The next step flips the bullet over and through three more consecutive dies the tip is closed to form a hollow point hunting bullet. (QC checks again!)

Then the bullets are washed, dried and tumbled. They then go to a few ladies who check EACH bullet for quality. They were rejecting bullets which had slightly marred surfaces (They had to use a magnifying glass to see any mar in the finish!), finger prints, and a myriad of other reasons. Tedious work, but the company depends on them as their last line of defense against their reputation. But before packaging, a sample of every lot is sent "Down-Stairs."

They have their own firing range. Each lot is tested before it can be sent to the customers. There were two steel drums full of worn out rifle barrels.

If the bullets are going to be used in specialty rounds, they are each laser checked. Every one of the bullets going to the military are checked this way.

A lot of the machines that Sierra uses were designed and built by them. They are working three shift, six days a week, trying to stay up with orders for their bullets.

If you are ever in Sedalia Missouri and have about an hour, stop by their factory and ask for a tour. When you leave, you'll have a brand new appreciation for their bullets and the effort so many people put in to making them.

old roper

Last time I was on tour at Sierra was late afternoon so got a tour of the shooting tunnel seen the loading equipment/action/barrels etc. I was surprised as I asked about pressure testing was told they send that out.

Paul Box was our tour guide was just me and the wife and we spend good 2hrs there. You look at all the machines making bullets are computer run and all this modern equipment and they use cement mixer to tumble bullets in.

Besides making bullets Sierra is one of the largest suppliers of bullet jackets and those are the jackets GTB and other custom bullet makers use.

Uncle Buck

Old Roper, I try not to stand very long due to my back and hips, but I could easily see how the tour could last an hour.

They were getting ready to do some reloading downstairs and we did not stay too long in that area. I would have loved to see them check their shots.

I walked away with $185.00 worth of bullets. Some of them you could tell why they were seconds, others, no idea what was "Wrong" with them.

It is nice to know that quality control exist for something as "Simple" as a bullet.

PawPaw

I just ordered some Sierra's today. I didn't know that they sold seconds. Also, my lady has family in Sedalia. I guess that a trip might be in order.

steveno

Hornady gives the same tour at the plant in Grand Island. it would be nice to be go through the ammo plant next door but that is off limits

stu925

I've been using Sierra bullets since I started reloading on my own some 15 years ago and my father swore by them for as long as I can remember. I've tried other bullets but always go back to Sierra. For accuracy it's tough to beat Matchking bullets, my .280 Rem will put 5 of them into about 1/2" @ 100yds when I'm on top of my game. For hunting I use nothing but 140gr Sierra Gameking SPBT in my 6.5x55 Swede. They shoot sub MOA and drop deer like no other bullet I've ever used.

Stu

Uncle Buck

Using Seconds has saved me a lot of money in bullets. I used to stick mainly to lead, but now I can actually afford to shoot jacketed bullets with-out Auntie Buck telling me I have over spent my allowance money. :)

I paid $15.50 for 100 Remington Semi Jacketed bullets for my .357 Magnum.

I paid $11.12 for the 110 using Sierra. Same bullet, different makers. (I did notice that on a few of the seconds, there is a slight blemish on the copper base. There are a few that look like they may have little dents/dimples in the lead part of the bullet.

When I weighed some of them, they weighed between 157.8 ~ 158.1 grains. Not bad for me and my intended use.

Because they are seconds, they have not been tumbled. I bet once I toss them in the tumbler, they will clean up nicely.

hooligan1

Cool tour UncleBuck, I have to swing through Sedalia and check it out,, hey also there is Missouri Bullet Co. in Kingsville, which is on the way to Sierra!;)
Mrs. hooligan doesn't mind what fun me and the boys have as long as we don't call for bail money!!:D:(:rolleyes:

Uncle Buck

Hooligan, Missouri Bullets is smaller and you can stand at the door and watch their operation. Joann is great for letting you know what is going on. They are in the middle of nowhere, but very friendly.

Scott: I do not know if they send them via the mail or only sell them at the store.

old roper

Uncle Buck, I think the locals or friends get there on the most popular 2nds as they sell out pretty quick.

I was able to get 5lbs each of 270 cal 140/150gr Gameking and the only 30 cal they had was 180gr Gameking and 7mm was 175gr Gameking. I was able to get 10lbs of 6mm 85gr HBBT and only 5lbs 22cal 50gr bullet.

If you go up there for a tour or just to buy 2nds they may not have what you want just depends on what they run.

Uncle Buck

I was looking to buy some 150 grain Pro hunter power jackets and the lady said they were out of them.

Even though their production is running six days, 24 hours a day, it could be awhile before they run them again. (Or it could be the next batch they run, I did not ask.)

langenc

I asked Sierra about buying bullets a few years ago and was told "no on site sales'.. \

I could be headed that way this summer on my way to sons in Bend-Nosler. They have seconds. Few years ago I was there and asked about a bag of bullets --"what makes these seconds?" The sales person looked at em and said "should have had red tips." The tips were white. I dont think the buck will notice the color of the tip.

J A

Great tour

The wife and I took the tour a few years back. Rich (one of the tech guys) was our guide. He was a kill. Kept it pretty light and informative for the hour we were there. I walked away with several fresh off the line bullets in calibers I owned at the time of the tour. Plus bought a couple of pounds of seconds.
The seconds are about gone now but they shot as well as any of Sierra's new bullets I have used. Which is always great.
After the tour we talked about compettion shooting, guns and hunting. Rich was a treasure trove of info and stories. I enjoyed the tour very much.