Sierra .458 300gr JHP

Drue

My Sierra Manual (5th Edition) lists loads for the 300gr .458 JHP bullet between 1450 fps for the Trapdoor and equivalents and 2550 fps for the .458 Winchester. It seems that any bullet that would expand at Trapdoor velocities would explode at .458 WM velocities and that one designed for the Mag would not expand at all at Trapdoor velocities. Of course this probably would not matter for deer hunting.

Does anyone know what velocity this bullet is designed for or have experience hunting with it?

Thanks

Drue

rwilson452

I think you will find the bullets are designed to work over the complete range of velocities.

Call or email Sierra, they can be very helpful.

Loader9

I had built a 458 Win Mag on a Mark X action, express sights, thumbhole stock, it was a neat rifle. I loaded the 300 gr HPs at max for hunting a very dangerous game....turtles. Yeah, turtles. A lot of the ranchers stock their tanks with fish and turtles are hard on the fish population. Well a 22 just wasn't doing anything but keeping up with the new born turtles so I decided a 458 should clean a tank pretty good- I was right. That bullet out of a 458 at mag velocities will explode like a hand grenade at short distances....like 50 feet. You didn't have to hit any turtle and multiple kills were common. It was a fun thing while it lasted but it was also taking a toll on the shoulder and the shooting of less violent guns. So yeah, at close range the 300HP is going to blow up and probably should be limited to 100 yds or more. At 45-70 velocities, it is a dandy and it's what I shoot out of mine but I keep the speed down to around 1800'ps. It will deck a 500lb hog about like a Peterbilt. And you can always load the 458 down to 45-70 velocities. You don't have to try to kill everything in the county with one shot.