Sierra 150 Spitzer

LAH

This is Sierra bullet #2130 for the 30 caliber rifle. I incorrectly labeled the targets #2125. Loaded these to try in the 700 Remington 30-06. I have to bunch of Data 85 powder & CCI #34 primers so used such. Please note the powder is a little slow for 150 grain bullets in this case & the powder charge is at the bottom of the chart so it is what it is. Velocity should be 2700-2750 fps.

The bullet & seating depth

Powder

Primers

First 100 yard group

Second 100 yard group

2 each 200 yard groups. 5 shots are in 2.38" with one shot, a flyer, opening to 3.16"

LAH

Also shot a 300 yard group.

Part of the mixup in labeling the targets, I was also shooting a few of the #2125 bullets which is 'bout the same bullet only with a boat tail. Below are 2 shots using the boat tail bullet & 2 shots using the flat base bullet on the 300 yard steel plate. The high 5th shot on the right was fired offhand.

bamaranger

works for me

I use that Sierra "Pro-Hunter" .30/150 also, in 2 of of my .308 hunters, and it has always been an accurate bullet for me too. Drive my hunting loads with modest loads of 4064.

That flat base, common spitzer shoots well, expansion is good, and it won't break the bank either.

57 is lightly compressed is it not? I wonder if you Neck resized do you think you would see a slight improvement in groupings?
Otherwise that's a dandy recipe you have there already.

Only data powder I have ever used is Israeli Arms 2300. Works good.

LAH

Sureshot those loads are neck sized & the powder isn't in the neck so it's not compressed. I'm thinking a heavier bullet perhaps something 180-200 grains would work better with this powder. And if I were serious about accuracy I might also consider a different primer. These are components on hand & for where I'm hunting will work. If I'm not hung up on the. 223 this winter I may work with the powder more.

steveNChunter

That same bullet is what I have loaded for deer and black bear this fall.

I'm loading them for my .308 win Rem 700 over 46.2 gr of RL-15 and a WLR primer in Lapua brass. It's good for 1/2-3/4" three-shot groups at 100 yards.

I've never used Data 85 but accurate powder's website says Ramshot Hunter Data can be used for Data 85. I have used Hunter in the past.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/DP85.pdf

Last edited:

steveNChunter

It is interesting that the data on your container is so much different from the Ramshot Hunter data on their website. If they are truly interchangeable, you're below the starting Hunter load. I am by no means saying to go by the Hunter data, but according to Accurate you could.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_1-23-14.pdf

Edit: Well on a second look, when comparing apple to apples, (both 150 gr SST loads) it's only a 0.4 gr difference in the starting load, and a 1.8 gr difference in max loads. There could be that much variance from lot to lot of the same powder. Apparently the Sierra can be pushed a little harder than the SST before building too much pressure

Last edited: