Side Mount Shell Holder for Rem. 870?

Deegle

Does anyone know where I can get a side mount shell holder for a Remington 870 Express (18 inch barrel, 7+1), which will mount to the gun without modifying the gun. The TacStar model requires you cut a piece of the grip off to make the shell holder fit. Any other options out there?

rem870hunter

what shell capcity is the holder you were looking to buy 5-6 ? changing the forend or using a slip on buttcuff type would be an option as opposed to cutting the forend you have on the shotgun now. the remington factory model forends are longer than the aftermarket type. i have a speedfeed type 2 butt and forend combo. the forend with the slide back does not go over the lower part of the receiver,which is what yours is probably doing. mine stops at the front of the receiver. the 4 shellholder should be short enough to not have to cut or modify the forend.
the slipover cuff is the cheaper than buying another stock.

Deegle

Rem870hunter: Yeah, looking for a 5-6 shell holder. Would like to avoid putting it on the stock if possible. Do you have a picture of your set-up? Thanks for the help. By the way, as you are looking for a state to move to, PA is close to you and has much better gun laws.

rem870hunter

ATTACH]

Scattergun Bob

Deegle

This is an area where more is not necessarily better! We started out many YEARS ago with 4 shot receiver mounts and NOW is see some that hold 8 :eek:. At bare minimum 4 in the gun and 4 on the gun ought to get it done. Don't get me wrong @ 3AM defending our castle in our skivvies extra rounds are NICE.

He is a 4 shot (SSGSS-4) that has been around for quite awhile and I can vouch works, and if you have to do anything besides bolt it on, PM me and I will yell at Wilson for you.
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_side_saddle.asp

If you are going to use mixed rounds, remember to point your shot shells and slugs in diffenernt directions. That's the tacti:cool: way!

WARNING; one of the few things that can destroy a 870 receiver is allowing the hold down screws on this or any receiver mount to become loose and elongate the Trigger Plate Pin holes. Check the tightness frequently, or you will have a mean, old, ugly, Armorer like me yelling at ya!:)

I have experimented with butt cuffs, as long as they DO NOT move up the stock they are great. For a blast from the past, check out Milt Sparks Leather and look up COLD COMFORT, it's expensive but IT WORKS.

Good Luck & Be Safe

rem870hunter

not on that stock, the sling swivel keeps it from moving. on the monte carlo wood one it does. but i didn't drill it for a sling swivel. although i'm not too sure its a good idea to have a sling on a hd weapon. i've thought on getting a sidesaddle mount myself. but if i have that on i can't use my saddle scope mount too. the buttcuff works fine, holds 5 shells and only cost me 6.00. dicks sporting goods carries them. allen brand. they make rifle butt cuffs too. but i never bought/used one. the speedfeed stocks can be bough at cheaperthandirt.com and brownells, etc. too i think. choate makes/made a good setup too. i'm not sure if they are still available. they forend was rounder and didn't have the grooves like the speedfeed one.

Regular Joe

I use the slip-on with my 870, but I sewed the material at the front to be very tight, so it can't move back. I took up the extra material in a second pass of stitching, so it "looks good". I like having the extra rounds that far back, as opposed to a mount on the side of the receiver, because when a friend who is opposite handed shoots my gun, the carrier won't mar his good looks.