Side by side shotgun identification.

onlybrowning

I was fortunate enough to inherit some nice guns from my Grandfather before and after he passed away. One of these is a 12 gauge side by side that bears the name Crescent Fire Arms Co. Norwich, Conn. USA. THe model is stated as "Peerless Model" and teh serial number is 245***. I am curious to learn anything anyone may know about this gun. I have never heard of it before. NOte: as far as value is concerned, it is quite used, and is not in great firing condition.

Dfariswheel

Crescent Firearms was originally located in Norwich Conn, from 1888 to 1893.
The company was merged with the N.R. Davis company in the early 1900's by the Folsom Gun Company to form Crescent-Davis.
In the early 1930's the company was bought from Folsom by Savage-Stevens.
The machinery was moved to Chicopee Falls, MA in 1933, and the Norwich factory was given to Connecticut as payment for taxes.

Crescent was a large maker of house brand guns. That is, they made guns marked with the brand names of hardware stores and catalog sales companies.
Over 100 different brands were made by Crescent, including under their own name.
They also imported many different shotguns, and often used foreign made barrels on their own guns.

Due to the lower quality, they have no collector value, and the older guns are no longer safe tot fire with modern ammo.

Depending on features, a 12 gauge in brand new condition might be worth $200.00. One in 60% is worth about $70.

The Peerless was made in several versions.
The Peerless #6 hammerless side lock $400 in new, $150 in poor.
The Peerless #6E engraved $600 new, $200 poor.