Shuffs mini g... Came this week.

1stmar

I ordered a garand from cmp back in November with the intent of sending it to shuff for mini g conversion. Sent it shuff in April and it came this week. I had a new stock put on, and the basic mini g conversion on the stock barrel. The conversion includes a schuster gas plug. Took it to the range yesterday and again today. Great little carbine. 7.7 lbs and whole lot of fun. Great shooter. The gas plug allows me to shoot my favorite 06 loads without concern of damage to the op rod. You can adjust the plug so it functions like a single shot or so it functions as a semi and drops the brass right by my side. Tim Shuffin was great to deal with and delivered early then expected. I'll post pics later.

1stmar

Here are a couple of pics. Btw I have an m1a scout, this is shorter and balances better. I like the 308 better or perhaps it's the muzzle break on the m1a. Recoil doesn't feel as sharp.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 58

Orlando

I have had Shuff do work for me several times and also had him build me a BM59. His work is top notch!!!
Nice Mini G

tahunua001

although many purists will cry foul... that certainly looks like great work. if I had dollars for a second garand and conversion I would love to have one of my own.

1stmar

Tahuna I look at it as an improved tanker version. :). I hear ya. Not big on purity myself. Function follows form. I love carbines. Can't say enough about Tim shuffin

tahunua001

personally I prefer them original, better conversation pieces that way but in the case of the garand it's so dang heavy that I don't like shooting it much. if I could get one that was nearly 3 pounds lighter than original and looked as perty as yours I would love to try it out, sounds like it would make a good brush gun.

1stmar

36" and 7.7 lbs... Pretty darn close to ideal. A tad heavy still but not bad. Kind of hard to argue with some improvements to classics. 1911 has quite a few, beavertail grip, larger sights, lowered and flared... Jmb is still a genius but I'll take today's version. I feel the same way about the garand or even the m14. Great rifles... Just to damn big and heavy. Other then.. Perfect. I love my m1a scout, but it's taking a back seat for now..thinking about a mini 14 (maybe an m1 carbine as well)to complete the picture.

bamaranger

want

I picked up on the Mini-G awhile back....and have wanted one ever since.

In .308 and with an Ultimak rail (extra cost options) would be ideal GP heavy duty carbine.

1stmar

Hard for me to do a direct comparison to my m1a scout since it has a muzzle break, but I do prefer the recoil of the m1a. The more I handle the mini g the more I prefer it to the scout and I really love the scout. The gi parts are head and shoulders better quality and it's more compact. Though I don't mind the recoil at all, the m1a is noticeably different to shoot. The accuracy of the two is equal. The mini g was about $200-$300 cheaper then the m1a and I got a very good deal on the m1a. I'm considering building another one this winter in either 308 or 06 but w the muzzle break. I kept the original stock, going to lightly sand and refinish (would be my first attempt at this) and see if I can save $150 on the stock. I have a scout scope for the m1a but frankly it prefer irons, the scope is good on occasion but I really don't miss it on the mini g.
Build it you won't regret, Tim does great work and I think very reasonably priced.