SHTF long gun--which is better?

longeyes

Marlin 1894 (.44 Magnum) lever-action (20" barrel) or Ruger Mini-14 (with reasonably-sized magazines). Let's assume you can't get an AR-15 or an AK-47 because you're in CA.

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
I have problems with either, but they are political ones. Of the two, I'd take the Marlin as more useful. It's also probably more accurate.

Ruger mags are problematic, largely because Ruger didn't make many...even before the ban.

Bob Locke

Of those two, I would take the Marlin in a SHTF situation because you will draw less attention to yourself with it. The Mini-14 just looks evil by comparison.

Destructo6

How about the HK SL-6 (.223) or SL-7 (7.62x51)? Depending, they can be just a little more expensive than a Mini-14, but will have much greater accuracy. Also, you can get factory 10-rnd magazines and a factory scope mount.

Halffast

longeyes,

Good question! I would say it depends on what kind of SHTF situation you have in mind.

If it were for laying low and hunting, I would say the Marlin. It looks more benign, has a lower noise signature, and will take medium game out to 100 yards quite well. Also, you can remove the buttstock with one screw and have a gun that will easily fit in a backpack.

If repelling hostiles was the job at hand, I would definately take the Mini. More firepower and MUCH easier to reload. If you have good magazines (PMI is the only aftermarket mag that I would bet my life on.), the Mini is rock solid reliable. I would get a slip-on flash hider and a synthetic stock (maybe a folder) to put on when the SHTF. If that happens, who cares if it's legal or not? If you do, make sure that you test sight in with them on the gun. I would also look for a more sturdy rear sight, as I think the stock sight is the weakest link (besides the accuracy when the barrel heats up) on the Mini. Also, Cheaper Than Dirt sells stripper clip guides for the Mini that allow you to use M-16 stripper clips to refill your mags. I have some, and they work quite well.

If these were my only two choices, I would probably get both. They complement each other quite well and neither is so heavy that you couldn't carry both if you have a large backpack. Just my $.02 worth.

David

PS - I do own both rifles. :D

El Rojo

What is a reasonably sized mag?

Does a reasonably sized mag mean that it is a 12 inch long 10 rounder? I know you don't mean anything over 10 rounds because they have all been restricted in the PRK. The only way to get such devestating and deadly hardware is to take a trip to Nevada, Arizona, or Oregon and when you return you find those 10 30 round mags in your trunk that you bought in 1986 and that you misplaced for all of those years.