Shrike

Hkmp5sd

Nice!

Any word on how well it functions? Can you buy the belt fed upper and put it on a M16 lower? Ciener used to make an AR/M16 belt fed conversion. Only drawback was you had to use his specially made links.

Deadman

Thankfully I've had the chance to use a FN Minimi so I'm not too jealous.

But I'd still love to own one of those 'Shrikes'.

rick_reno

Art,

They've got a neat little movie here http://www.aresdefense.com/
that shows one of these things in action.
I know someone that has a few of them on order - when they get in and are running I'll post a note about how they work.

Hkmp5sd - this came from Ares (the Shrike folks) - it might help answer your questions.

Q) What model Shrike should I order?

A)The "AR15" type, "Pre-Ban" Shrike 5.56 model has a semi-automatic style bolt carrier, threaded 16" heavy barrel with flash-hider and is intended for use in conjunction with a "pre-ban" semi-automatic lower receiver. This model would also be suitable for use with an NFA Registered "Auto Connector" or "Lightning Link". (All National Firearms Act Rules Apply)

The "AR15" type, "Post-Ban" Shrike 5.56 model has a semi-automatic style bolt carrier, 16" heavy barrel with permanently attached muzzle-brake and is intended for use in conjunction with a "post-ban" semi-automatic lower receiver. This model would also be suitable for use with an NFA Registered "Auto Connector" or "Lightning Link". (All National Firearms Act Rules Apply)

The "M16/M4" type, Shrike 5.56 model has a full-automatic style bolt carrier, threaded 16" heavy barrel with flash-hider and is intended for use in conjunction with an NFA Registered select-fire or full-automatic lower receiver. This model would also be suitable for use with an NFA Registered "AR15 Auto Sear," "Drop In Auto Sear," and "Auto Sear II." (All National Firearms Act Rules Apply)

Hkmp5sd

Thanks for the info! It is on my "want" list. I'll wait for some hands-on reviews before taking the plunge. (TFL forum once again is going to cost me a great deal of money! :) )

Remember, fire only in short bursts lest you ruin your barrel. Also have the tools to change barrels after you've worn one out.

viper

I've been following the Shrike 5.56 for a couple years now. Yes, from what the designer has told me, you can buy a belt-fed upper and put it on an M16 lower. That's basically the point of the system--to turn an M16 instantly into a belt-fed LMG/SAW.

I don't have currently information about the durability of the barrel under heavy full-auto fire. I'll inquire about it. I would think they would make the barrel thick enough and with the proper metallurgy to be able to handle the LMG role.

I posted a heads up about the Shrike on my site(DefenseReview.com) at http://www.defensereview.com.

If it proves to be reliable and durable, it's a winner.

There's also information about the Shrike on Full-Auto.com(http://www.full-auto.com).

I'm not crazy about the FN Minimi. For one, I think it's too heavy for a 5.56 light machine gun. I'd rather go with the Ultimax 100 MK3 or Israeli Negev Commando.

Last edited: