Show your Mini 14/30 optics and/or suggest ideas.

nate45

I want a really compact scope to go on my Mini 30, but there are several different and I really don't want to take a chance on the lesser priced ones. I'm not immune to trying a Red Dot, Holosight, etc.

So please show and/or tell me what you have done optics wise on your 14/30 and give me some ideas.

Right now I have a Weaver K4 on it, because Art Eatman said thats what he had on his Mini 14 and I had a K4 that was not on a rifle. I'm going to the range right now and see what kind of groups I can get at 100 with it on and these 125 grain Barnaul soft points.

NickySantoro

My Mini-14 started out with a Leupold compact 2.5. When the Leupold went on my 870 to make nice with deer and turkeys, it got a Burris 4X. When the Burris went on a .22, the Mini got an Aimpoint 3000 from Ebay. That optic suits it the best for my purposes. It will shoot minute-of-chest out to 200 yards each time and every time should that be required.

2002gti

im just running a cheepie $35 simmons red dot on my mini14. its just a plinker for me on the 40-50 yard tin can range so i didnt need any magnification. it works well for my intended purpose.

HPIM0100.jpg

Travis Beck

I have a Nikon Monarch 2-7 variable on mine. The scope is incredibly bright and crisp. At 2x the field of view is plenty wide. But I can also dial it up to 7x for longer distance or smaller targets.

rugerfreak

Zeiss Diavari-C 3x9x36

A little overkill but the scope was laying around and the finish matches---silver scope/stainless rifle

huskres

argh I wanna mini but they are asking to much for them around here. maybe wanamachers will have some cheap ones

nate45

Alleykat said:
This might be a little too precise for a Mini, but why not try a 30m.o.a. red dot?

You know it really might be, when I took my Mini 30 to the range and fired it @ 100 yards the best group I managed was just under 4 inches.:eek:

The wind was gusting pretty good and I was only resting the fore end on a shooting bag, but still, out of three attempts, only one 5 shot group came in at under 4 inches. I'm going to take it out today or tomorrow and shoot it out of my lead sled maybe it can do better.

To put it in perspective the last time I shot my Rem 700 .308 Varmint, I shot one 10 shot group that was 1.1 inches and another that were all in 7/10ths of an inch and that was off the bipod. So 4 and a quarter inch groups aren't very inspiring.

I'm not going to give up on it quite yet I'll try it in calm wind out of the lead sled and if that doesn't help I'll get different ammo. But as of right now the claims of inaccuracy look true.

kayakersteve

Tomorrow, it will arrive

Ordered a Bushnell Holographic sight for my Mini-14 NRA model - Cant wait to try it! Will post pics once mounted.

nate45

100_0689.jpg

I tried mine out with a Weaver K-4 I wasn't using, only one group out of 3 less than 4 inches wasn't inspiring.:(

Like I said though I'm not giving up on it I'll loack it down in my lead sled and shoot on a calm day, won't be much doubt left then about what size group it really shoots.

It is a handy, reliable, good looking little rifle, too bad it is not more accurate. I suppose if I can get consistent sub 3 inch 100 yard groups with it, it will be ok on game out to a 125 yards or so, but a hundred or less would be better.:)

Logs

I went with a Nikon Buckmaster for $150 3x9x40 works great. I had a red dot, but the .223 has such good range I like the magnification of a scope better.

kayakersteve

Bushnell HoloSight is here!

I didn't know if I would like this sight or not, but now that it is on the gun, I love the look and it performs awesome. Sighted it in today and throws 1 inch 75 yard groups nicely (great for me!). Will see what it can do out to 150+ yards at next range trip. Does anyone have any short range trajectory tables for .223??? - Looking for 50, 75, 100, 150, 200 yards with a 100 yard zero.

Here it is:
600_IMGP8786.JPG

And a full length shot:
600_IMGP8781.JPG

hoytinak

I've got a cheap Hakko red dot on my Mini-14. I got it long ago till I could get something better but I've been pretty impressed by it and decided I don't need to upgrade it.

nate45

kayakersteve

Looks good, I thought about one of those Bushnells, but didn't know how they mounted.

Where did you get that base?

RGS

This is my Mini 30.

This is more a picture of the M1 rear sight, but I have an Ultimak rail and 3x Burris pistol scope mounted forward in "Scout" position. The Ultimak rail adds stability to the barrel. I get 2.5" groups with Federal ammo @ 100yds.

By the way, this was also a 4"+ gun before the Ultimak was installed.

Photo12.jpg

Last edited:

hoytinak

RGS,

How do you like that rear sight and where did you get it? I've been looking for a different rear sight for mine.

RGS

To tell you the truth, I've not shot it since I put the sight on it. I bought the rifle used and the rear sight was broken. I found instructions on how to adapt an M1 rear sight to fit a Ranch Rifle and thought it would work okay. A friend of mine is deep into military rifles, so I had him keep an eye out for a reasonably priced sight in good shape. I think it cost about $35 or so.

Here is instructions on how to do it.

You will notice he is a fellow Texican :)

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43581