Shoulder Holster Recommendations

Dragline45

I’m looking for a shoulder holster for my 5” Government Colt 1911. Still torn between vertical or horizontal.

Having a tough time deciding for a few reasons. Interested in the Galco VHS but I have some issues. The hardware on it is plastic, completely unacceptable on a $185 holster. It has a terrible tie down system, not sure why they didnt just have a belt loop on the back of the holster. It also has a terrible retntion design, being ambidextrous it has twice the likelihood of becoming unsapped and the gun falling out, they should have just made dedicated righty/left holsters.

Then comes the Miami Classic, would have been great but the holster leaves over an inch of the barrel/slide exposed, so really it’s a commander holster that can accomodate a Government model.

Anyone have any recommendations for either a vertical shoulder rig, or a horizontal that fully covers the pistol?

RickB

I have been using the modern interpretation of the Galco Jack Ass, but have recently been reconsidering the horizontal shoulder holster concept.
On a vertical design, there are some "interesting" retention designs that don't seem to encourage a quick draw.
I have a couple of old clamshell style rigs with a spring for retention, and they actually work pretty well.
Check out the Andrews Springbreak.

Screwball

Having a tough time deciding for a few reasons. Interested in the Galco VHS but I have some issues. The hardware on it is plastic, completely unacceptable on a $185 holster. It has a terrible tie down system, not sure why they didnt just have a belt loop on the back of the holster. It also has a terrible retntion design, being ambidextrous it has twice the likelihood of becoming unsapped and the gun falling out, they should have just made dedicated righty/left holsters.

The VHS really wasn’t designed to be carried with tie-downs. It was made to be put over a flight suit... and put on/taken off quickly.

In regards to the plastic hardware, not seeing an issue. The VHS I have (for my Beretta) is squared away, and while it isn’t something that would be my first choice... it isn’t something I feel that I wasted my money on (will add that I bought mine used).

I’m sure it isn’t going to be accepted, but one of my new favorite shoulder holsters is from Ares Tactical. They use a Galco harness system (think the Miami Classic), then make the two sides out of Kydex. When I originally looked into it... thought it would be crappy. Looked at shots on their Facebook page, and talked to them about it... finally deciding to order one.

My favorite aspect of going that route is customization. My original order was to fit my Glock 30S, horizontal, tie-downs, with a TLR-3. Opposite side is magazine pouches... did a three (mainly a driving rig). Can do A LOT of different variations for the weak side. I recently switched to the TLR-7, so ordered a new panel to swap in that. The TLR-3 bezel stuck out pretty far... and just was under from poking out the back. The TLR-7 is a lot closer to flush than the TLR-3, so should be even more concealable.

If you think that plastic on a $185 holster is bad, I’m sure that you aren’t going to look at their holster... but I’ve had nothing less than great experience with them and their products are top notch. I do like leather, and have quite a few leather holsters... including some other shoulder holsters (forget the brand, but got one for my P938 that makes it a dream to carry). But I’d put my Ares holster up to any Galco holster... any day of the week.

Charlie98

I have a Alessi... both for my 1911 and my Kahr CW9. It isn't really a 'horizontal' holster, it cants the pistol down slightly to reduce the print of the pistol; I suspect the Galco Miami Classic can be set up this way, too, but I don't have any hands-on experience. The retention system for the Alessi and the 1911 is a snap through the trigger guard... very clean; the retention for the Kahr, because the trigger is the safety, is a traditional thumb-break.

Not really sure what you are expecting... a horizontal-oriented holster can't be secured, otherwise you would have straps running down the pistol side. The Alessi (and I think the Galco) has an off-side (magazine) strap that secures the rig from shifting; in my experience it works very well... but a shoulder holster is always a compromise.

44 AMP

Staff
Another vote for the old school Bianchi! X-2000 for the full size 1911A1

Also am fine with the uncle Mike's nylon rigs. And, they're relatively inexpensive.

Another option is the original GI shoulder holster. Not a speed draw rig, but they will carry the gun securely.

RickB

a horizontal-oriented holster can't be secured, otherwise you would have straps running down the pistol side.

There are horizontal holsters with tie-downs, attached to the bottom of the pouch below the trigger guard (I think all Galco horizontal holsters have a snap to attach a tie-down), but if I were to rig them to my holster they'd have to be about a foot long.
I see pics from the desert of military personnel wearing their Miami Classics almost as low as cross-draw belt holsters, and if worn that way, you would need tie-downs or the holster would be constantly swinging fore and aft as you move, but worn high they don't move around and don't need to be tied down.
I think the problem is exacerbated by attaching both front and rear straps to the top of the holster pouch, encouraging the holster to swing for and aft, while the older horizontal designs, like the early Ted Blocker and the original Jackass, had the rear strap attached below the gun's muzzle, where it resisted forward movement.

cw308

Gould & Goodrich holsters . As with every holster, a learning curve . I was having shoulder & lower back issues , found a shoulder rig was the way to go . Horizontal , as with every draw finger off the trigger .

Charlie98

There are horizontal holsters with tie-downs, attached to the bottom of the pouch below the trigger guard

I don't know if I've ever seen a strap on the holster side... but I may be all wet on that. I'll have to go look...

Andy Blozinski

I use a Kangaroo Carry for my 4" barrel Chiappa Rhino .357. This would also fit a 1911. It does a great job as a concealed carry shoulder holster.

Cosmodragoon

I've found that vertical carry is more comfortable, doesn't constantly point a gun at everyone behind me, isn't presenting itself for draw by anyone in front of me, and allows for less sweep potential on the draw.

I might be the third or fourth guy to recommend nylon but there really are advantages. First, premium shoulder rigs can be pretty expensive and that can be a real problem for something that might just end up in the dreaded holster box. Second, I don't know about you but like many men, I sweat. My shoulder holsters are inevitably exposed to underarm perspiration. I'd prefer to be sweating all over something that's both more washable and less expensive. You can find decent options in the $25-50 range and some will double as suspenders. Just be prepared to do a little modification and it can be good to have someone assist you with initial fitting.

buck460XVR

I have two Bianchi X16 Agent Xs, and both of my sons have one. The are horizontal carry, and have tie downs on both the holster and ammo pouch. Very comfortable to wear and easily adjusted for proper fit. Retention is by a snap and strap and works extremely well. Easy for me to draw both my 1911s and 637 from. As for sweeping folks with a horizontal holster, only time that is an issue is when drawing and one should have their finger off the trigger anyway. When drawing from a vertical, most folks will bring it to horizontal anyway at some point. Never have found nylon to be a comfortable to wear as leather, especially with lightweight clothing(as in wicking type tees), nor is nylon as easy on guns as leather.

Dfariswheel

By far the best vertical shoulder holster ever made was the old Hardy-Cooper.
Jeff Cooper had a hand in the design.

It's the only vertical shoulder holster I ever saw that allowed a full shooting grip on the gun butt without partially starting the gun out of the holster, and still lays flat on your side without the butt sticking out.

This works because of the way the toe of the holster is secured to the belt.
Most holsters have a simple strap and snap on the back.
The Hardy-Cooper has a slot in the bottom of the holster the belt passes through and this pulls the holster flat against your side.

Almost all other vertical holsters either have the leather harness strap passing over the gun butt, blocking you from getting a shooting grip, or the gun butt sticks out and prints through the coat.

Nevada Gun Leather still make the Hardy-Cooper design.
Personally I think the four strap "Figure 8" Galco harness is better then the over-the-shoulder design that is standard with the Hardy-Cooper.

The benefit of the four piece Figure 8 over the over-the-shoulder harness is that the Figure 8 allows adjusting the four individual straps to move the holster more forward against your pectoral muscle, and allows shortening the lower straps to pull the joint of the four straps down into the middle of your shoulder blades instead of having it ride right in the middle of your neck.
The best of the Figure 8 designs are the Galco.

https://www.nevadagunleather.com/Springclip-Shoulder-Holster-156.htm

As an example of how most vertical shoulder holster harness straps block access to the gun butt, look at the Nevada Leather "Special Agent" design.
In order to draw the gun you have to get a two or three finger grip on the end of the butt, start it out of the holster, then "juggle" the gun in mid-draw to get a shooting grip.
This slows the draw and greatly increases the chance of a fumbled draw or even dropping the gun under stress.

On most any kind of holster you should be able to get a full shooting grip before even starting the gun out and you shouldn't have to shift your grip at all from holster to first shot.

Last edited:

Dragline45

Thanks for all the recommendations. I ended up deciding on a vertical holster, while I would feel comfortable with a horizontal, my family and friends likely wouldn't and they are the most likely to be around me while wearing it openly. I ended up ordering the Masters vertical shoulder holster I came across on optics planet, which is basically a take on the Galco VHS but the tiedown is a snappable belt loop on the rear body of the holster where it should be. Ended up getting 15% off and free shipping with some promo codes so I got it for $75 less than the Galco VHS would have cost me and it has the better tie down system. Should have it next week ill be sure to post back when I receive it.

3490844.jpg

Dfariswheel

The critical part of a shoulder holster is in adjusting the harness.
Most people never give that much thought and the holster never works well.
Most times the lack of fitting and adjusting leaves the holster riding too far to the rear, and the joint of the four straps in the middle of your neck.

First, shorten the top strap on the holster side to shift the holster slightly more forward so the holster is riding about on the side of your pectoral muscle.

Then shorten the lower two straps and lengthen the upper straps to pull the harness joint down into the middle of your shoulder blades.
This gets the joint off the middle of you neck for better comfort and better concealment.

Next, just wear the holster around the house for a few hours.
DO NOT shift it back into position or adjust it.
The idea is to let it settle into position so you can judge where it needs to be adjusted to ride by tightening or loosening the four straps.
Once you can wear it all afternoon and the gun stays right where it should be, you've got it properly adjusted.