Shoulder holster for Snub?

Bacchus

I'm looking for recommendations for a shoulder holster for a snub. It can be for any model with a 3" barrel or less, preferably with speedloader holders.

Any recommendations?

How are Uncle Mike's?

Walosi

I've rtaken a liing to inverted shoulder rigs for my J Frames. Alessi makes the Guardian, with close molding and a thumb break. It has a six-round dump pouch on the off side that will take a speed strip with five rounds (but not six).

I also use a K.L. Null "SMZ" rig. It is a white polymer harness, with a hook through the trigger guard, snapped to a piece that wraps around the cylinder. Release is accomplished by slightly raising thegun and twisting it to break the snap release. Sounds complicated, but is quick and simple with a litle practice. It is not to be used with anything that has a reduced trigger pull. He makes them for S&W Js and Ks, and about ten years ago he made one for a S&W 24 N Frame for me, but that is not listed on his site now.

Comment - I've had a couple of rigs with speedloader carriers on the off-side, and found that once the harness was finally adjusted for long-term comfort, the speedloaders had to go elsewhere. They always wound up digging into the tender part of the inside of my upper arm. A dump pouch, considered "extra ammo", and speedloaders on the belt or in a pocket, considered "quick loads" turned out better.

joeoim

Uncle Mikes

I have an Uncle Mikes size 36 and don't like it. It was noisy and so light it was hard to reholster. Next I'll try a good quality leather.

Last edited:

Sundance

Could someone post a good picture of the Alessi Guardian inverted shoulder holster two of you have made reference to? Thanks!

Walosi

Maybe not a good picture, but the only one I know of - From the R & F Distributors site.....

http://www.rfholsters.com/rfholsters/product.asp?dept_id=10&pf_id=AH-TGISR

The rig is "gun specific" - Mine, for a 640, won't hold a 36 or other hammer variety, and the ones molded for them won't hold a hammerless "centennial" style. Any shoulder rig takes a week or two of adjustment (I two before I cut off any excess strap length) but with a light 5-shooter, this is a very comfortable set-up wonce you get it dialed in. Mine hangs just to the left of the shirt pocket, and the harness doesn't shift or creep unless I chose a shirt with too-lightweight material. I have worn it between a T-shirt and a fairly heavy cotton short-sleeved, tail-out summer shirt. It has a very small print signature, even with that sort of cover.