Shoulder holster for OC

doh_312

I've only got three holsters with level 2 retention. One is a tactical holster for my XD45 with taclite. I use it for my hikes. The other two are shoulder holsters, one for the XD40 and the other for the S&W 637.

The question: Is the shoulder holster a good option for OC? Both my shoulder rigs hold the gun horizontal, which presents the grip straight to anyone in front of me. However, I'd likely see someone going for the gun because they have to do it with in my immediate view. The tactical holster would be acessible from behind.

Would I be better off shelling out the green for a good level 2 hip holster?

Doc Intrepid

Wearing a shoulder holster that holds your pistol in a horizontal configuration ultimately means that you are allowing the muzzle of your firearm to cover whomever is sitting or standing directly to your rear.

Unless I am misinformed by Galco, this is one reason why the "Holsters for Heros" rig changed to holsters that carry the firearm vertical - the military had issues with the fact that horizontal pistols invariably pointed - even inadvertantly - at people standing in line behind the wearer, etc. (I purchased one of these rigs from Galco for my youngest son when he rotated over to Afghanistan.)

Ergo, recommend you not open-carry in a shoulder rig with a horizontal carry mode. It breaks one of the fundamental rules for safe gun handling - "never allow your muzzle to cover anything you do not wish to destroy".

There are hip holsters that will meet your needs much better, and I suggest that if you intend to open carry then purchasing one makes a great deal of sense.

YMMV.

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
Ergo, recommend you not open-carry in a shoulder rig with a horizontal carry mode. It breaks one of the fundamental rules for safe gun handling - "never allow your muzzle to cover anything you do not wish to destroy".

I have to concur. I didn't care for the idea of horizontal shoulder rigs when I first encountered them, but told myself they weren't really dangerous as long as people kept their hands off their guns and fingers off their triggers. My attitude underwent a radical transformation when I watched a rugged individual sweep half the people on a shooting range with his finger on the trigger while drawing from a horizontal shoulder rig.

An awful lot of shooters just plain don't keep their fingers off triggers until they're ready to shoot. They seem to figure nearly ready to shoot is close enough. It's not. Never has been. Never will be.