Should I trade my PT22 for a Baby Browning?

simonrichter

From time to time, I get tempted to acquire a new piece just because it's cool, w/o making too much sense. The Baby Browning kind of attracted me, because it's soo small and, other than my current mouse gun, snuggly fitting. Moreover, the BB is cheap as dirt in our country, depending on the shape it would be between 30 and 90 bucks only...

So I made a pro and con list for both guns, inviting you to contribute and vote for one either:

PT22 PLY:
+ definitely the more state-of-the art gun
+ .22lr is more versatile, cheap too shoot, and slightly more powerful
+ grip feels like a regular subcompact gun, not like a mouse gun
+ DAO trigger & tip-up barrel
+ durable due to poly frame

- overall size, though petit, considerably exceeds the BB
- design is a little edgy, making the weapon not the ideal pocket gun

Baby Browning
+ smallest semi available, ultra light and concealable
+ snug fit due to being striker fired
+ trade-in would be at least free or even bring me a few bucks

- more a historical piece than an actual plinking gun
- .25 acp is weak and expensive
- not the ideal grip size for regular shooting
- SAO system, no tip-up barrel
- browned surface finish is going to decrease quickly

Hm, actually it seems I have already answered my question, still looking forward to comments :)

TheNev

Actually out of tiny pistols like those, .25acp is slightly MORE powerful than .22lr. Couple that with more reliable ignition (centerfire vs. rimfire) and more reliable feeding due to length to diameter ratio. Unfortunately .25 is still expensive.

spacecoast

Not only is the .25ACP better from short barrels, it's also a bit heavier bullet (50gr) and reloadable for even higher potential performance.

aarondhgraham

At that price,,,

it would be between 30 and 90 bucks only...

At that price,,,
I would keep the 22-PLY,,,
And buy the Baby Browning outright.

Taurus does make a 25-PLY as well as the 22-PLY,,,

MouseGuns.JPG

So if you like the 25 ACP cartridge,,,
You could get another Taurus.

Aarond

lee n. field

Moreover, the BB is cheap as dirt in our country, depending on the shape it would be between 30 and 90 bucks only...

My jaw drops. Dude! Just go buy it. :rolleyes:

Keep the Taurus if it works well for you.

The Baby Browning would be a neat bit of history, a little shrine to St. JMB. The Taurus would actually be a bit more useful (assuming it worked OK).

jonnyc

I had a PT22 and realized it had no real purpose, not even fun shooting. Traded it away for a Buckmark and never regretted the decision.

aarondhgraham

I had a PT22 and realized it had no real purpose...

I understand your take on this,,,
In my case it has a useful purpose though,,,
It's the gun I like to leave in my tiny center console.

The PT-22 and the 22-PLY are different pistols,,,
The inner workings are supposedly the same,,,
But the frame was completely redesigned.

The PT-22 was plagued with malfunctions,,,
Taurus seems to have fixed that with the 22-PLY.

I wrote a letter to Taurus after I bought my 22-PLY,,,
I asked why the slide was still marked PT-22.

They never answered but I made an assumption,,,
They didn't want to retool just to make that distinction.

Aarond

ShipWreck

I see what you are saying - what is the differences between the older Pt22 and the newer model - besides just the visual differences?

I had a PT22 in the 1990s. Never liked that gun. I would never buy another.

Microgunner

The problem with the Taurus and the Beretta it was copied from is that due to their pop up barrels neither has an extractor.
Now, an extractor isn't necessary for a blow back action but it is necessary for emergency clearing of the pistol.
The Taurus cannot be quickly cleared during a malfunction making it completely unsiutable as a combat weapon.
The Taurus is a plinker only and as a plinker I'd choose a larger pistol.
The Browning may be demure but it can at least be cleared quickly.

Microgunner

Bill DeShivs said:
The tip up guns can be cleared by simply flipping the barrel open.
The loaded round will fly out.
If the chamber is reasonably clean and un-burred. I have experience to the contrary.
Then you must do the standard rap and rack drill. Two added steps before you get back into action, assuming the bad round just pops out.
Possible problems are too real to put myself at an even greater handicap than being reactive already does alone.

Rifleman1776

I just bought my wife a Beretta 21A.
Compared it with the Taurus. The Taurus is thicker and heavier. Not as comfortable in the hand nor does it come to hand naturally. The Beretta is comfortable and comes to hand very naturally. I had seen conflicting reports as to reliability, pro and con. The con were enough to guide me to the 21A.

simonrichter

Actually out of tiny pistols like those, .25acp is slightly MORE powerful than .22lr. Couple that with more reliable ignition (centerfire vs. rimfire) and more reliable feeding due to length to diameter ratio. Unfortunately .25 is still expensive.

Empirical data does not back this suggestion. See Ballistics By The Inch where you can easily calculate that a .22lr can make up to 115 joules and more out of a 2,25" barrel while a .25 acp performs at 95 joules at best, even if the test barrel was slightly longer (2,5"). Granted the FMJ is an advantage of the .25 acp.

At that price,,,
And buy the Baby Browning outright.

the thing is I may only own two semiauto firearms (or revolvers), and I need one of those permits for my full-size handgun (G17). Wouldn't make much sense to have an arsenal made of two mouseguns yet no really substantial piece.

Last edited:
At that price,,,
And buy the Baby Browning outright

This... I just paid $360 at auction for an unfired, broken Baby Browning just last week here in the US. A $50 trigger and it's good as new...and worth $500 easy.

GyMac

I have an FN Browning .25 and it is an absolutely beautiful gun. No, I don't use it for anything except to show people how nicely a handgun can be made.