should i shorten my .300 savage barrel?

I've got a Savage 99E in .300 Savage.. it's a great rifle, works just fine as is. The barrel is 22 inches long. I've been thinking about shortening it down to 20" mainly because my dad has a 99E in .308 with a 20" barrel and GOSH that thing just jumps to your shoulder and points itself. So i'm really attracted to the idea of shortening mine to a carbine length barrel. I love carbines and prefer them to full-length rifles in general, just due to pointability and because where i hunt the longest shot is 150 yards, if that. I know that the muzzle blast willl go up with a shorter barrel, and i might lose some velocity as well? Could anyone share their opinion on this? I have no clue how much increased blast or loss of velocity to expect. Most everyone I have talked to has said 'leave the dang thing alone' and I know that is sound advice and the rifle does work fine as is.. thoughts?

unclestu

Since you ask, I'll just say No. You'll have to get it cut, & crowned, & then you'll have to get e new front sight mounted. Look carefully at the other rifle & at your rifle: I suspect the other handles better because of difference in stocks, 2" of barrel shouldn't make that big a difference. Do they have identical stocks?

Here's an example: 36 years ago at age 16 I made the mistake of picking up a Browning .22 Automatic rifle(the take-down model). It almost felt alive, & I went back the next day & traded my Remington in on the Browning. To this day, I still smile whenever I pick it up.

About 10 years ago at a gun show I picked up & handled a Browning chambered for the .22 Short, instead of the .22 LR like mine. The .22 Short version has a barrel 2" longer than my rifle, 21" vs 19". Felt the same to me! :D (But they wanted BIG $$$$ for that little .22! :eek: )

LAK

it's a great rifle, works just fine as is
I think you have already, at least mostly, answered your own question. Taking off two inches is no going to be noticed IMO, and unless it is recrowned in the proper manner, it may not shoot with the same accuracy it does now.

I actually prefer longer barrels for most rifles these days; they are more stable shooting offhand, offer a smoother swing on moving targets, and rarely if ever "get in the way" even in the undergrowth.

mtnboomer

Actually, it has been proven that rifles chambered for the .308 Win. [the .300 Sav. is so close it doesn't matter] can have barrels as short as 18 inches before they start losing significant velocity.

Fremmer

I wouldn't expect a significant decrease in velocity to be caused by the loss of only 2" of barrel. Maybe a tad bit more flash and noise, but not much.

Just keep in mind that you are cuttin' on a classic......

I can't imagine that the rifle would be so much different by cutting only 2" of barrel. Then again, I don't have your rifle and your Dad's rifle to shoulder and compare.

It shoots well, so I'd leave it alone.

Dave R

Another vote for "leave it alone." Cutting 2" off the barrel is not going to change the way it mounts or points. It'll reduce weight by a few ounces, but not enough to notice.

Actually, it has been proven that rifles chambered for the .308 Win. [the .300 Sav. is so close it doesn't matter] can have barrels as short as 18 inches before they start losing significant velocity.

I guess it depends on what you call significant velocity. I chronoed the same rounds out of my 22" Rem700 and 17" CETME, and the drop was 250fps.

yeah.. i'll probably just leave it.. the two stocks are identical.. the two rifles are completely identical except for barrel length and caliber.. so i don't know what the deal is.. his scope is lighter than mine.. that's the only other difference i can think of. from what ya'll have said i just don't think it's worth the trouble of getting it cut and recrowned.. and i can always keep my eyes open for another 99 with the 20" tube.. thanks for the input..

HSMITH

Leave it alone, and buy another one with a different barrel length if it suits you. The 300 Savage isn't a magnum nor are the other 99's, so prices on them aren't climbing as fast as some of the other guns out there. There are some deals left to be had on 99's if you look often and are prepared to buy, your only real competition is a savvy rifleman that appreciates all that the M99 is. Beat him to the gunshop and you are all set.

rbernie

There are no mo' factory Savage barrels to be had - period. If yours is free from pitting and shoots well, it'd be pretty sad to cut it up. Having said that, I've got two Savage 99s that I'm planning to shorten due to the fact that their barrels have pretty bad pitting near the muzzle.

Savage 99's in 300 Savage are pretty common on AuctionArms or the like - it may be better to simply sell the one that you have and buy the one you want. Oh, and one more thought - make sure that your dad has a 99E and not a 99F. The thinner barrel contour of the 99F makes it much 'snappier' handling but that's not a barrel length thing - its a function of having a much lighter barrel taper. You can tell the difference at the rear sight mount; if you can see a ring in the barrel contour for the rear sight dovetail, you're looking at a Featherweight.

yeah my dad for sure has a 99E.. my little brother has a 99F .308 so i know what that one looks like.. it handles well too.. mine isnt too shabby either! i was just playing around with the idea... doesn't sound like too good of an idea, especially since yeah the gun isn't in production anymore and it does work as it is.. now i just have to get my dad to sell me his '52 99EG... ;)

LAK

Savage 99's in 300 Savage are pretty common on AuctionArms or the like - it may be better to simply sell the one that you have and buy the one you want
Or, better yet; keep the one you have. And get another with a shorter barrel. ;)

now i just have to get my dad to sell me his '52 99EG
Ah, now there you go :)

artsmom

I would guess that it isn't the 2" of barrel that is making the difference between the two guns, but rather it is the scope and mounting of it. I am pretty sure if you had the exact same scope, mounts, and bases, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two guns.