Should I shoot these bullets?

AzShooter

After reloading a number of 9mm bullets with 147 grainers at 1.14 inches OAL I had to work with another load. When I started back with the 147s I forgot to reset my seating die. The next set came out 1.05" OAL.

Would these be safe to shoot or will the pressure be too high? The load is 2.9 grains of Vhita Vhouri N320. Max load listed is 3.9 grains. Starting load is 3.1 but with my chronograph they shoot faster than I want.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/AzShooter/Two 9mm cases.jpg

Updated to show load data.

Last edited:

higgite

You didn't specify your bullet length or seating depth, but FWIW, according to QuickLoad there is a very good chance that the load is compressed by a 147 gr bullet seated to 1.05" COL and you're looking at overpressure. I'd pull them and chalk it up to experience, but that's just me. ymmv

hartcreek

I would put those in my kinetic bullet puller and give each a few raps to back the bullet out and then re seat and crimp them to the correct length.

AzShooter

Looks like I'm going to spend the night pulling bullets. I'm scared they are over pressures so I really don't want to take a chance with them but there are too many to just throw away.

Someone suggested just one whack with the bullet pullet to get them longer and then reseat them on my press. I'm going to try that.

g.willikers

Yes, just do what hartcreek suggests.
Much easier than pulling bullets and starting over.
If you get it right, they might not even need reseating.

BBarn

+2 on the kinetic puller that hartcreek suggested. IMO, everybody who handloads and makes mistakes (which is likely everybody who handloads) should have one. I use one quite often and find it handy to help resolve a number of reloading issues.

T. O'Heir

"...I would put those in my kinetic bullet puller..." Yep. Too short is easily fixed with a kinetic mallet.
"...Starting load is 3.1..." Do not go below the minimum load in your manual. Below minimum loads can be as dangerous as over max loads. Isn't terribly likely that anything will happen with just .2 below, but start loads are called that for a reason.