Should I shoot the moly coated bullets?

603Country

I bought a rifle from a friend that's also big into reloading. He gave me all his cases for the rifle and some reloads. Some of those reloads, less than 10 rounds, had moly coated bullets. I'm ready to start load testing and need all the cases empty, and I haven't yet shot those moly coated bullets. I don't use moly coated bullets and don't know much about it. I'm assuming that the moly, or some of it, will be deposited in the barrel. This rifle shoots wonderfully right now. Will a few moly bullets cause me any problems?

Bamashooter

I think moly is just something else to gum up a rifle and cause inaccuracies, plus moly bullets are a little more expensive. I dont see any point but if you want to shoot moly coated bullets go for it.

LarryFlew

I occasionally do v max moly in 223. Don't really leave anything in the barrel but your mags and your hands can get messy.

wingman

Honestly don't see the need for moly, Some years ago when it first came on the shooting scene I used some and although I cleaned as instructed I ended up with a pitted barrel, may have been some fault of mine not sure however I have not used Moly coating again, really did not find any advantage when I tried it although others swear by the stuff.:confused:

I never shoot someone else's reloads, so I would use an inertial puller to disassemble the rounds, but that's your call.

As to the bullets themselves, Moly got a bad rap after people started trying to get around NECO's patent and put some low quality product on the market. I've never had a problem. I used it in a Garand that would not get through a match without fouling so badly the accuracy fell apart in the last stage of the match. Moly fixed that. Just don't go nuts and figure that means you never need to clean the bore. Clean after a session, same as with regular ammo.

Moly does deposit in the bore and in the case necks, so you may find it takes the barrel awhile to settle after you switch, and the cases may need ultrasonic cleaning. Your best bet is a very thorough cleaning after shooting it. The moly is usually mixed with carbon, so Gunzilla or another cleaner that is especially good on carbon removal will help. Someone actually has a separate cleaner just for moly bullets, but I've forgotten who. A couple or three patches pretty wet with Gunzilla, then allowed to sit overnight and followed by another the next day seems to take care of it.

mc223

The OP stated he only had less than ten. Shoot em up if you trust your buddies reloading. If not, pull the bullets and dont worry about it.

603Country

The rifle in question is a 260 Remington in a Ruger 77 Mark II. I've only got 8 of the Moly coated bullets and maybe 10 of some non-coated 140 grain rounds that he loaded. He's an extremely careful guy and I've known him and hunted with him for 15 years, and I trust his work, so shooting his reloads isn't a problem for me. I've already shot some of them, but not the moly coated ones. I just need to empty the rest of the cases and get started on some more reloads, and I figured shooting them up is more fun than pulling the bullets and dumping the powder. But...I didn't want to 'slime' up my bore with moly if that's something to be avoided. This rifle has been such a pleasant surprise with the way it shoots that I really don't want to mess it up in any way. I'll go ahead and shoot up those moly reloads this week and give the bore a good cleaning or two and go on from there.

mc223

Some folks use moly and some dont. I have used it for years without any gumming up the works kinda stuff happening. There is still a lot of misinformation on the subject. I like the higher velocities and less barrel fouling myself.

Good shootin.