Should I sell my Win. Ranger 140?

Z400ACDC

I bought this gun at a pawn shop about 12 years ago. I had the stock cut and a packmar recoil pad installed. I don't hunt but, I shoot clays a couple times a year. The last time we shot, it broke. The guy that fixed it said it broke a screw off in the bolt I think is what he called it. He said that this piece was getting hard to find and that I might think about selling it. Well, thee gun looks new and I had no problems before it broke. I may shoot through it 10 boxes a year. What do you think? THANKS!

BUCKMARK

The Winchester 140 is pretty much the same gun as the Winchester 1400.

These guns were cheap, and sold pretty well into the 1980's. They are a decent shotgun for the money and pretty reliable. My first auto shotgun was a 1400 in 12 gauge. I still have it, and I added a 20 gauge to the collection. I have always liked them. One problem with this gun is that they seldom bring much more than $150-$175 today.

I have repaired about 6 or 7 of these guns over the last few years, and the biggest problem is the plastic magazine throat breaking. I have seen 2 guns with the exact same problem as yours.

The screw that broke off is the only one in the bolt. It holds the cocking handle bridge onto the bolt body or carrier. When it breaks off, it allows the firing pin and spring to exit stage right.

Gun Parts Corp. has the bolt handle bridge and the bolt carrier body in stock...but I doubt you need either. I have had great luck drilling out the broken screw and tapping it for a larger dia. screw. I add a little lock-tite and put it back together. Never got these guns back again. For $60 you can buy a new bolt body and new screw. For the price of the screw and labor you can fix what you have.

Tell your gunsmith to fix it. I wouldnt get rid of a decent gun for $150...that won't buy you a new one.

Any questions on the repair...email me buckmark@adelphia.net

Z400ACDC

Buckmark, thanks for the help! The guy that fixed it gave me the old part that has the screw broken off in it. Could you tell me what size I should tap it out to and what type screw I should use? I could have it ready if it broke again. Like you said the gun is not worth much but, I like it. Before this happen, it never failed and the gun looks better than some new ones. I really like my recoil-pad I put on it also. THANKS!!!!!!

BUCKMARK

buckmark@adelphia.net

email me. We'll talk. I can tell you what you need to do if you have a drill press, drill bits, gun thread taps, and gun screws.

Or - I'll do the work for you for about the price of a Burger King value meal. Have it your way!:D

rallyhound

A few years back one of gunrags put it on the list of the ten worst guns ever made.
I have one from 1985 or so and it has been trouble free.