Should I sell my 870 to buy an 870?

Cerick

Hey everybody,

I bought an 870 tac desert recon about 5 years ago for an all purpose shotgun. I use it for HD, bird hunting, turkey hunting, clays and target shooting. I grew up shooting a 20ga 870 and loved it. I like my 870 but I've had a couple issues with it.

Once while shooting a round failed to feed because it got stuck in the lip of the barrel while feeding. The last time I went shooting the rounds or the forend were sticking a bunch when trying to eject the shells. It was difficult to pull the forend back.

Also the powder coating is of poor quality IMO. I have chips and nicks in a couple different places and I take good care of the gun.

I love the way the 870 works and I was thinking of selling mine to get an 870 police magnum. I know the police model is based off of the wingmaster not the express. Would it be worth it to spend the extra money? Would I get that much more of a reliable and smoother product. I'm all about quality and my tac recon doesn't do it for me.

Thoughts?

frigate88

I know some of the 870's had issues with what you're saying but its nothing that can't be fixed. You could also just save up and just buy a second and use the one you have now as a back up and throw around gun. Or you could sell the 870 and just buy a mossberg 500 and call it a day. Don't get me wrong, the 870 is a good gun, but I havent had any issues with my 500 and have had a few with my 870. Go get your gun looked at, it could be something minor that's causing it and takes 2 seconds to fix.

Virginian

Keep in mind that the 870 Expresses are made to compete to a price point. The basic design is as good as it gets, but the finish is dirt cheap. They do have some shortcomings versus a Wingmaster, but they are solid serviceable weapons, and any issues can be addressed pretty easily.
If shells stick, hone the chamber. Not just burnish with steel wool wrapped around a bore brush, but hone. An automotive drum brake rear wheel cylinder hone - about 8 bucks - will usually work wonders. Not shooting steel hulled cheapie shells won't hurt either. I have seen Mossbergs, Novas, and even BPSs being beat on the ground with cheapie shells lately.
It's not a Purdey, if you have rust issues, paint it. Everyone moans about paint, but its darned hard to beat automotive spray paint for the price. Cars sit out in all kinds of weather and don't rust for years, and you can get any color known to mankind.
In my opinion you would be better served to keep the gun you have and address any issues rather than starting from scratch again. If you do start over, look at a '70s or so used Wingmaster and go from there. I have had 6 Wingmasters and one Express and not one of them has ever missed a beat. The Mossbergs are solid too, and there is not a better designed gun than a BPS, but I just prefer the feel and ergonomics of the Remingtons to any other pump on the planet.