Should I let the XDm go?

ARDogman

I have a predicament. I own the XDm in .40, black slide, OD green frame. It might have around 600-800 rounds through it. I initially shot about 400 rounds in a weekend, just to test functionality. After that, I would shoot here and there only at a range, or out in the country. It has performed 100% flawlessly, not one hiccup. My problem with the pistol is that after getting used to it, I feel like it's too big. The way I am built and dress dictates that I can't really carry it, so it basically sits at home. I would love to have something a little smaller...say a HK P2000 or USP Compact. I do know that the boss (wife) won't let me have both (or all three!) I don't want this to become an XDm vs HK debate, that's not the issue. This issue is, would you sell off a gun that you knew to function well to get something that you felt was a better size for you (knowing that whatever you might wind up with has a history of reliability)? What say you?

Uncle Malice

Yes.

I agree with you here.

I sold my XDm too. The USP Compact and P2000 are both excellent. I prefer the USPc because I like the versatility of DA/SA or cocked-and-locked options. I have owned both and sold or traded both of them.

Currently, I am looking to get another USP Compact... I can't decide between the black frame and stainless slide or the Tan frame and Black slide. :)

You don't have to worry about whether or not you will get a good one with the HK.

It will work.

sserdlihc

I would sell it off to buy something that I would shoot or carry more regularly, but not buy something with reliability issues.

chris in va

I did it a little different with my XD9. Once I discovered it didn't work with my hand size, I sold it and got a CZ75. I've since bought/sold several other guns in the search for a good carry gun, but still shoot my 75 the most.

DanThaMan1776

I'm in nearly the same predicament! I own a G17 and after shooting it quite a bit I realize it's a great gun... for someone with bigger hands and a bigger stature. For me (5 8', 150 pounds), I prefer the G19 and don't have the heart to switch it out because the G17 was a gift.

Uncle Malice

DanTheMan,

Have you considered doing something like the grip reduction and/or grip chop?

Many places can do it but I really like the work that David Bowie does. No, not Mr. Stardust!

http://bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html

The first picture is a G17 that had it's grip chopped down to the size of a G19 grip, as well as other mods. The benefit of this is that the length of the slide is not hard to conceal, it's the length of the grip that will print more. The grip reduction will also make the gun feel more at home in your hand.

Add to that the fact that you will have a custom gun instead of being like every other Glock on the block. The gun will be uniquely yours. The grip of the G19. The sight radius of the G17. Win-win.

Cheers. :D

GM1967

This issue is, would you sell off a gun that you knew to function well to get something that you felt was a better size for you (knowing that whatever you might wind up with has a history of reliability)?

Of course. If the gun has limited usefulness for you, then by all means sell it and buy something that is more useful. Unless of course money is no object; in that case, keep it and buy something more useful

stargazer65

If I could only have one, I'd sell it to be able to get what I really need. I have a an XD service (4"). I really like it and I carry it sometimes. But, if I could only have one handgun, I'm not sure it would be the one. It's a little too big for EDC all the time. I might get something like an XDsc or comparable, something that would be slightly smaller for carry, but still fun at the range. It would be hard to part with it though.

You could consider getting an XDsc with black slide and OD green frame, and keep the XDm. Then you just have to make sure that they're never both around at the same time. You might have to do a little tap dancing if your wife asks, "I thought that thing was bigger(smaller) than that?" You could tell her it's collapsible, or it's just an optical illusion. The collapsible argument might backfire though if she asks to see it in person.:eek: Just my thoughts.

Leejack

Sure! You gotta get what satisfies your needs.

I've sold off good guns in the past to fulfill a burning need. Nobody can fault you there.

Lee

Cheapshooter

JMG IWB 3.2
3rd one down on the page http://www.jmgholsters.com/iwb.htm
I did send it back and had him add another clip on the front to help keep it from slipping down in the front. He added a leather tab with the belt clip on it for an extra $5. It was sewn on the holster just on the bottom. Works fine now. Also, I think if he put the rear clip on a tab the same way it would also make it tuckable. He makes all his own holsters, and will work with you on what ever you want.

This issue is, would you sell off a gun that you knew to function well to get something that you felt was a better size for you (knowing that whatever you might wind up with has a history of reliability)? What say you?

Maybe. I do whatever I can to never sell any of my firearms that function well even if it provides funding for another firearm. I just wait and save a bit longer so I can have both. There are rare cases I have sold them, but it was with dang good reason.

shredder4286

brother, i can tell you from my experience- if you have a gun that you enjoy shooting, and is so reliable, i wouldn't get rid of it. if you have the money, keep the XDm 40 and get another for a CCW. no regrets:cool:

cougar gt-e

The XDm is a big gun if your trying to hide it under clothes. Sure, Samoan wrestlers can do it, so can guys wearing stuff 3 sizes too big. But a smaller gun like the XDsc in .40 or 9mm will be a lot easier to conceal. It does make a great open carry, house gun and range shooter.

I would bring my lunch to work, saving 25-50 bucks a week for 9-18 weeks and get it. Or save more and get it sooner.

Coltman 77

shredder4286;

brother, i can tell you from my experience- if you have a gun that you enjoy shooting, and is so reliable, i wouldn't get rid of it. if you have the money, keep the XDm 40 and get another for a CCW. no regrets

cougar gt-e;

I would bring my lunch to work, saving 25-50 bucks a week for 9-18 weeks and get it. Or save more and get it sooner.
Today 06:13 AM

These gentlemen nailed it, IMO.

lee n. field

This issue is, would you sell off a gun that you knew to function well to get something that you felt was a better size for you (knowing that whatever you might wind up with has a history of reliability)?

Yes.

It's a tool, not an idol. It didn't belong to Hitler, President Kennedy or your grandfather. It has no historical or sentimental value. It's a tool that, unfortunately, doesn't do quite what you want it to do.

Liquidate it and get what you want. Or buy a Glock and be done with it. :D:eek:

Last edited:

ARDogman

IDK why people subscribe to the "never sell or trade anything" rules." I don't have plans to sell any gun I buy, but after having it for some time, if I determine it isn't meeting the needs I thought it would, why should I let it sit at home and collect dust? I like to shoot it, I can't deny that. And it's a solid performer, no question. I would just like to find something that I can get a good three finger grip on without having room for another finger beneath my pinky. For my purposes, it just seems a little big. Hence the P2k or USP-c idea. Now...I don't plan to continuously buy an sell pistols, as in the end, I'd probably wind up having $1k+ in a 5-900$ gun. That reminds me...when I go to sell off the XDm (if that's the route I ultimately take) what would be a fair asking price? Again, it's got the black slide, OD green frame, and I would estimate that it's got about 6-800 rounds through it. It has never been carried and doesn't have any visible external wear. The barrel obviously has some wear from being shot...just the normal stell showing through the black finish. Thoughts?