Should I keep carrying my Mod. 36?

deerslayer303

Hey Guys,
I need some advice. I have been carrying my S&W Mod. 36 square butt all the time. My dilemma is the pistol is beautiful probably 95%. And of course its finish will suffer the consequences of carry. I have replaced the original grips (and stored the original grips) with a set of pachmayr's . The pistol is pretty old but its NOT a flat latch and it does have a pinned barrel. It is my go to CCW and I'm proficient with it, I have spent alot of time with it. So, should I continue to carry the old girl or get something else and let her retain her beauty?

ZVP

I vote to keep carrying it!
Familiarity alone dictates my decision. You have carried it so long andit's become second nature to you. When the chips are down, that alone could save the lives of loved ones or yourself.
ZVP

roaddog28

I agree with others. I would carry your 36. They are not rare but they are excellent snub-nose revolvers.
Good luck,
Howard

unit 900

Here's my nickel 36 from the early 1970's. I carried it off duty and in plainclothes for decades before the Glock bomb went off. Why not buy another j frame as the muscle memory will carry over and you can continue to shoot it well. I picked up a model 49 later and shooting it was seamless as far as any transition from the 36. Everyone needs an excuse for another j frame. ;)

deerslayer303

Thanks for the replies guys, I just didn't know the possible collector value of the pistol and I didn't want to be messing it up. But I'll keep on carrying it.

Here is my ole gal. Love this thing.
20141023_180738_zps69461364.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

But I guess you're right Unit, never can have too many wheel guns.

Nick_C_S

'nuther vote for "CARRY IT."

You are proficient with it. That says a lot. You only go around once; and if there's ever a time when you truly need it, it will be more invaluable to you than any amount someone else thinks it's worth.

Guv

I second Draglines recommendation. I would add though, I wouldn't pass on a nice newer one. Retire the old girl, put some stag grips on her and take her to the range now and then.

Dragline45

Were the Mod. 60's all Round butts?

No, but the square butt are much harder to find. I sold my pre-magnum 640 a few years back and have regretted it ever since, I plan on picking up a .38 special model 60 to replace it. When I used to carry mine in the summer I would pull it out when I got home and it would have beads of sweat on it, being stainless that's not a problem, but I would hate to have that finish on your beautiful 36 ruined.

CajunBass

I can't think of any reason not to carry it. It's not like you're going to put your kids through college with it.

I used to worry about the same thing until my wife pointed out to me "If you don't use them, your kids will when you die. You might as well enjoy them yourself." Good point.

Wipe it off with a silicone rag every so often. That's what I do with the Model 12-2 I carry everyday.

It looked like that the day I got it. It still looks pretty much like that after several years of use.