Should I cross bolt a CZ 550 in .375 H&H?

phil mcwilliam

I'd been half looking for a .375 H&H Magnum, when I recently spotted a near new heavy barrel CZ Model 550 in .375 H&H fitted with Leupold 2-7x33 scope. I couldn't resist & take delivery in a couple of weeks.
I had previously been told by an African hunting guide that I know, to get the CZ double cross-bolted as they have a tendency to split stocks. This particular guide used a CZ which he had cross-bolted, but it was chambered in .416 Rigby. Any use in cross-bolting a relatively new CZ chambered in .375 H&H?

mete

I thought that CZ did that now ?? There was a good bit of discussion about that when they started to make the heavy recoiling rifles.
The consensous was that ALL rifles in 375H&H or heavier recoil should be glass bedded and double cross bolted if you want the stock to last !
The 375 H&H is a very fine cartridge ,accurate and powerful especially with the newer premium bullets. Recoil is very manageable too so you'll actually shoot it enough to become competant.
Enjoy it from deer to elephant ! :D

PetahW

The .375H&H CZ-550 American Safari I bought (new) 9 years ago came from the factory with both a crossbolt and a 2nd recoil lug ahead of the action recoil lug.

The "other" thing it had, was the front sling QD stud installed in the bottom of the forend - which I quickly relocated to a barrel band just forward of the forend, inlaying a cartridge head in the old stud hole as a plug.

IDK if CZ made other .375H&H 550 model's, that didn't have those features.

Last edited:

phil mcwilliam

CZ put out a few different versions of the 550 chambered in .375 H&H. Several versions are cross bolted at the factory but the one I'm buying (Classic?),doesn't seem to be.

Scorch

I don't know about CZ, but every other 375 H&H I have ever worked on was crossbolted or needed it after relatively little shooting. While the 375 is no powerhouse, it will crack stocks very neatly.

Strafer Gott

Absolutely with a wood stock. I think a .375 has plenty of power. I still have a 30-'06 that's cross bolted. Part of an "express" package. Looks cool, too.

PetahW

phil mcwilliam said:
CZ put out a few different versions of the 550 chambered in .375 H&H. Several versions are cross bolted at the factory but the one I'm buying (Classic?),doesn't seem to be.

It's an easy enough D.I.Y. job, with a 1/4" diameter machine bolt 2" long (cut the head off), some glass bedding compound or Devcon, paste wax (release agent), and a few minutes with a Dremel tool to rout out a small trench for the bolt across the width of the stock, in the flat area of the action bedding just to the rear of the recoil lug.

Pull the bbl'd action from the stock & rout out the cross channel deep enough so the top of the bolt's side is below the top of the bedding surface; butter the bolt with bedding compound: drop it in & smooth out the top; apply wax liberally to the bottom & sides of the action & recoil lug & install the bbl'd action; let dry/cure overnite.