Should I buy this Winchester Mod 70?

mtnbkr

A hunting buddy of mine is offering his post '64 Mod 70 (30-06) to me for $350. It's a push feed gun with a custom (ie non-original) stock and Tasco 3-9x32 scope. IIRC, it's in very good shape (short of minor markings from field use). I don't remember exactly how accurate it is, but it's always worked for him. I don't think it shoots any worse than 1" or so at 100yds (haven't seen a target in a while, but he's always been pleased with it's accuracy).

He's selling so he can buy a Super Grade Mod 70.

Well, good deal or should I pass? I have a 30-06 already, but it's a clunker built with an old mauser barrel/action, cheap sporter stock, and a bolt on scope mount. It's ugly, but shoots well enough for hunting (roughly 2.5" @ 100yds).

Chris

cratz2

If there was a Pre-64 Model 70 in my local shop in a standard caliber such as the 30-03 for $350, I would buy it without hesitation. Cheapest one I've ever seen locally was probably $500. Granted, it had the original wood stock but you can always look for one of those down the road if you wish...

thequickad

for comparison purpose, a new Model 70 pushfeed (Winchester Black Shadow) in 30-06 goes for about $370 on the Internet. You can add dealer transfer, tax, shipping, mount and scope and see if you want a new or used rifle.

mtnbkr

for comparison purpose, a new Model 70 pushfeed (Winchester Black Shadow) in 30-06 goes for about $370 on the Internet. You can add dealer transfer, tax, shipping, mount and scope and see if you want a new or used rifle.

Yup. That would bring the rifle up to about $500 after all's said and done (that's on the cheap side I imagine). If the Black Shadow is what I think it is, it would still have a black composite stock, which I hate.

What's got me tied up is that I know I can pick up a used Mod70 w/o scope for about the same price. I can also get a new Savage 110 for about the same price. However, I know the history of this gun, what loads it likes, etc. I think it's a decent deal, but I haven't really shopped for rifles lately, so I'm not sure.

Chris

rcbs

The Post Model 70's were very good guns. Accuracy wise most I have owned shot very well.

If your mauser is not shooting it could be from a variety of causes.

The mauser action is one of the best if not the best in the world.

If you are interested in making it shoot I would check the following.

Make sure the gun is bedded properly. It would not hurt to give it a glass bedding job and also water proof the inside of the stock with a good sealer like polyurethane.

Floating the barrel may also help grouping. Sometimes a shim is needed under the front portion of the barrel between the barrel and the stock to add a little upward pressure.

Make sure you clean all the copper out of the barrel. Many guns that don't shoot just need a good cleaning. Soak the barrel over night in Hoppes original No. 9 and the next morning see how much green and black come out on a clean white patch. Keep soaking the bore until the patches come out clean. On extremely bad bores it may take up to a week soaking them every night to finally get the bore clean.

Make sure you have a quality scope mounted on your weapon. Many sources of bad groups are bad scopes that do not hold zero and do not track well.

Make sure all stock screws and scope mounting screws are tight. If necessary locktite them to keep them from backing off.

There is no reason in the world why your mauser should not shoot 3 shot 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with the right loads. Rifles are often particular and it may take some experimentation to find the load that is right for your particular rifle no matter what brand of gun you buy.

If you buy the Winchester the first thing I would do is junk the Tasco scope. If you do not put a quality scope on the rifle you will probably end up shooting 2 1/2 groups even with the Winchester.

slabsides

Member In Memoriam
It's not an unreasonable price for a rifle with a known history, but no big bargain. The deciding factor would be not the Tasco 'scope, which is likely to be the usual POS that Tasco sold, but whether you really like THIS particular gun and aftermarket stock all that much, and whether dealing with a pal as opposed to an impersonal business operation appeals to you more.
Otherwise you'd probably be better off with a new Savage for the same bucks. They have a good rep for accuracy.
Maybe if you sold the clunker Mauser, you could afford JUST the rifle you want.

Bullzye

Hey mtnbkr, I live in Manassas, if you wanna pass on that rifle, just let me know, I will take it off his hands for him

mtnbkr

Regarding the Mauser:

It's not worth all the work described. When I got my hands on it a few years ago, it had a broken firing pin, a parkerized (or so it appears) finish that was worn through in some spots, generous pitting below the line of the original wood, a stepped barrel, and a cracked stock. All I did was build a beater rifle that I could use for deer hunting. Frankly, I'm happy to get those groups as it's about the limit of my ability to begin with (offhand). I may glassbed it one day just to learn the process, but it's mainly been a learning tool for me.

Regarding the Mod 70:

The scope is decent enough. It holds zero and has worked for my friend. My major concern with that rifle is whether or not it fits me well. It's been a few years since I shot it, so I can't remember. If I go new, a Savage is on my list (as is a CZ 550). He just offered this to me last night, so I've been mulling it over.

Chris

Bullzye

In all seriousness, it sounds like a decent deal assuming the rifle is in at least fair condition.

I have owned and shot a few post 64 model 70's and never had a complaint, they are inherently accurate rifles that are weighted well.

So all in all, I say go for it....

Swamp Yankee

Check www.ktpguns.com

They always have a pretty good supply of Winchesters in the used inventory. Remember the price listed is from a large well stocked gun shop, so adjust for private sale accordingly.
Take Care