Should I buy that 30-30?

LevelHead

I tend to like "utilitarian" firearms. This usually means military types, but not always.

I've got an AR, a 7mm bolt, a .308 bolt, a .45 HK a 9mm Sig and a Mossy 590 shotgun. Oh - and a trap gun - hey shooting birds is a valuable skill!

Anyway I've been lusting after this Marlin Stainless 30-30 at my local shop, and I've suddenly got the cash to blow on it, but would I be better served with more ammo for what I've already got?

I know 30-30 is good for anything I'd come across in NJ out to about 100 yards, but do I really need a new caliber? Sure is a purdy gun though...

Money spent on that would be a good bit towards that Acog NSN I've been lusting after...

I'm not sure if I'm trying to talk myself into it or out of it! :)

What are your thoughts?

-LevelHead-

MPH

The Marlin stainless sounds like something I need even though, I'll probably never shoot it. Love the look of stainless, and on a lever action, oh man. Good luck in you decision.

yankytrash

Consider the cost of the ammo. I've got all military calibers and a Winchester 30-30 that I had to have.

Then I go to buy ammo. Lessee, $100 for 8 boxes(160rds) of 30-30, or $150 for 1000rds of 308? Hmmmmmmmm......

Haven't put more than about 20 rounds thru the 30-30. Wish I could sell it.

LevelHead

Yeah but...

I feel that pain - I shoot 7mm Rem Mag! $30 a box of 20 for the good stuff.

I just orderd a Dillon 550B though, so...

-LevelHead-

tubeshooter

A *stainless* 30-30?

[drools]

That would be a pretty gun to have. Just the same, yankytrash is right about the cost of feeding it vs. milsurp.

Approaching this observation from the other end, .30-30 is inexpensive when compared with its fellow hunting-caliber bretheren. If you decide to reload for the gun, that's another factor as well.

Availability should remain good, and not "dry up" the way milsurp can in some situations.

'twould make a nice utilitarian rifle, but the caliber isn't really one for "plinking", partly due to what yankytrash said. YMMV.

You might even come to think it's too dang pretty to use in a utilitarian role... :cool:

-tubeshooter

Mo_Zam_Beek

LevelHead - IMO

A 30/30 lever is one of the "must have" / "industry standard" rifles.

A 30/30 lever is what 3-4 MOA? Not to mention that it starts to be like a lob shot past what, 150? (give or take)

A lever 30/30 can be found in virtually any pawn or gun shop during the spring for fairly cheap.

SS may look cool. But an ACOG IS cool and functional.

Split the difference, purchase a used blued Marlin or Winchester in the spring and get that ACOG.

Just a thought

Guyon

Every year, as whitetail season kicks off, Wal-Mart and a lot of sporting goods stores generally put the Remington Core-Lokt .30-30 ammo on sale. I just bought several boxes of it for $6.99 a box at my local Academy Sports. Along with the Centerfire Rebate that Remington is offering ($5 per 2 boxes), that puts it at $4.50 a box. That's purty durn cheap at 22.5 cents a round. Just stock up every year in the fall.

LevelHead

Hmmm...

Many good points...

Unlimited wealth is the only solution!

Another point is that NJ is probably going to elect the scumbad Democrat gun-hater, who will probably outlaw everything I own which is of use.

I doubt that lever would be banned...

-LevelHead-

Paul B.

A bit of old history here. During WW-2, sporting and military calibers were almost impossible to get. Everything went into the War effort. However, if you were a farmer, you were allowed to by .22LR, and if a rancher, .22LR and 30 WCF. (AKA 30-30 Win.) This was for vermin control to prevent mice, rats, and predators from diminishing the nation's food supply. Talk to any real old time farmer or rancher and he'll tell you the same thing.
A 30-30 can be fairly inexpensive to reload. cast bullets made from wheel weights are just fine for plinking, targets, and even deer hunting. A good mold, a pot to use over a stove, an inexpensive Lee sizing die and some bullet lube, a supply of cleaned wheel weights and gas checks and you are good to go. You can get cleaned wheel weights for around $.50 pound, sometimes less, and raw weights fan be found for free. I just got a free supply of weights that when cleaned up, gave me 350 pounds of usable bullet metal I shoot no jacketed bullets in my handguns except for defense loads which are factory ammo, and most of my off season shooting with most of my rifles is done with cast bullets. A 30-30n can be loaded to full power with a cast bullet made of wheel weights, and they take deer handily.
Paul B.